Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You are opening your home LAN to the WORLD??  (Read 1854 times)

F1Guy123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
You are opening your home LAN to the WORLD??
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »

Please explain to me how I'm wrong...
I've been looking to build a multi-IP-cam security setup for a while.  IP-cams are easy.  Simple web or smartphone apps are easy.  Port forwarding is easy.  And these three things are ALL anyone seems to talk about.

How about the fact that you are allowing every hack who cares to... enter your home network??

Everyone makes certain they lock their firewalls and routers down by carefully port forwarding just this one IP address and port etc.  Then they secure their wireless networks with security, passphrases etc.  THEN they connect to their IP cams via a smartphone app across the 'net IN THE CLEAR.  The smartphone app isn't using an SSL cert of course, because you haven't purchased or installed one.  I asked tech support here if the app uses some kind of built-in encryption or tunneling and they said no.  So, a hack with a laptop sits anywhere within your wi-fi range, captures your conversation with your cam IN THE CLEAR including the IP address, port and login PASSWORD.  Then he/she connects to your camera using the credentials he just grabbed over the air and WALA... the smartphone app allows them access to camera network configs as well as streaming video... he now knows your SSID, encryption type and passphrase.

Every time you connect externally to your cams in the clear, you are broadcasting the address and password to the configuration app that yeilds all of your router wi-fi security configurations.

Explain to me how this isn't a HUGE security risk?

And if X-10 tech support is wrong and the conversation to their cams is encrypted...  who can tell me about it and direct me to any documentation that states that?  The only other way that this could be secure would is if X-10 provides a gateway that their smartphone app attaches to securely that handles password authentication and then forwards to your IP:port/cam. 

X-10??

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: You are opening your home LAN to the WORLD??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »

X10 rarely responds to forum questions or comments.
Did you check the WiKi?
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

So, a hack with a laptop sits anywhere within your wi-fi range, captures your conversation with your cam IN THE CLEAR including the IP address, port and login PASSWORD.  Then he/she connects to your camera using the credentials he just grabbed over the air and WALA... the smartphone app allows them access to camera network configs as well as streaming video... he now knows your SSID, encryption type and passphrase.

Every time you connect externally to your cams in the clear, you are broadcasting the address and password to the configuration app that yeilds all of your router wi-fi security configurations.

Explain to me how this isn't a HUGE security risk?

Explain to me what a hacker can do with this information and my computer is not ON.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »

Please explain to me how I'm wrong...
I've been looking to build a multi-IP-cam security setup for a while.  IP-cams are easy.  Simple web or smartphone apps are easy.  Port forwarding is easy.  And these three things are ALL anyone seems to talk about.

If this is all easy to understand for you then you should also understand the difference between a visitor ,operator and admin accounts!
There is a difference in what is allowed with each viewing account.
Publishing you admin account info is like making keys to your house and handing them out to people.
You should not use an admin account to log on over the web create an operator account and change the admin account user and password info.
A operator account allows PTZ functions a visitor account only allows viewing neither allows one to view settings
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.