Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will amp;ifier overcome noise  (Read 2204 times)

EdMc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Will amp;ifier overcome noise
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »

I know that my X10s won't work from just before dusk until dawn, and a lot of experimentation tells me it is noise from a neighbor that's overwhelming my units.  I am using a phase coupler.
Will an amplifier/repeater solve my problem by being "louder" than the noise?  And can't I wire it into a 240V outlet instead of wiring it into the power panel?

Thanks!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Will amp;ifier overcome noise
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »

A good coupler repeater may over come noise. XTB-IIR comes to mind.
No one can say exactly. As each installation is different
Connected to the breaker box is best. Outlet near the panel has been used by members here and I believe worked OK.

Do you know if you neighbor is on the same power line transformer as you home is?
X10 signals have a problem getting from one phase of the home to the other through the power line transformer. Neighbor to your home is technically possible. If they are on the same transformer feed.

You may want to check your home for signal problems that make it marginal in the day and not working at night. When the signal is now too compromised.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:13:48 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »

I know that my X10s won't work from just before dusk until dawn, and a lot of experimentation tells me it is noise from a neighbor that's overwhelming my units.  I am using a phase coupler.
Will an amplifier/repeater solve my problem by being "louder" than the noise?  And can't I wire it into a 240V outlet instead of wiring it into the power panel?

Thanks!!
I'm agreeing with Brian. Neighbors noise IS possible, and if from neighbor it should be attenuated enough that a good repeater like the XTBIIR would overcome. No guarantee, but the XTBIIR outputs one of the strongest signals of X10 repeaters. (Here comes the *butt*) But are you sure the noise isn't from within your own system? Noise from a neighbor is possible, but rare because of the distance attenuation. However another regular commenter had a neighbors outside CFL bulbed post light wipe out his entire system at night (like your description). His fix was to buy the neighbor new CFL bulb. FWIW I use GE 13W and 27W CFLs and although noisy, do not make noise in the X10 spectrum.

It is best to install a repeater at the panel. That will give you the strongest signal through your system. That said, I have a XTBIIR installed on a clothes dryer dog leg of about 25 feet. I still get about 2 to 3 volts of signal at opposite end of house, about 50 ft away.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:32:47 AM »

Some of my customers have had pretty good success combating noise with the XTB-ANR:

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_reports.htm#XTB-ANR

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.