Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Wire Switch for ceiling fan control  (Read 2622 times)

abuttino

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 Wire Switch for ceiling fan control
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »

I've been reading a lot on this and before I drop it and move on, I have a question to confirm my readings.

There is no way to control a ceiling fan with 2 wires at the switch. I would have to put an inline module into the fan shroud, if there isn't enough space, you're SOL...

Is that all correct?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: 2 Wire Switch for ceiling fan control
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »

Are you looking to control speed or just ON/OFF?  To my knowledge, X10 has no way to control fan speed.  Assuming you want ON/OFF control, then you will need to use a relay type switch.  All relay modules require a neutral as well as power and load.  So, yes, you will need a 3-wire module to control a motor.  This can be either a wall switch or a fixture module.  There are apparently some micro sized fixture modules that purportedly fit inside the box behind your normal switch, though I have not played with one in person.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »

Yes, you are correct. A two wire X10 switch is not designed to control an inductive load. Damage to fan motor and switch can result, besides that, the wave form distortion from the switch makes the fan motor sound like an angry bumble bee. Even the three wire inductive X10 controller XPDI3 creates loud motor hum.
FWIW this Insteon/X10 capable fan contol is pretty small for hiding in fan shroud or canapy. http://www.smarthome.com/2475F/FanLinc-INSTEON-Ceiling-Fan-and-Light-Controller-Fixture-Module-Dual-Band/p.aspx

As Brian H pointed out this unit will not control speed when using X10 protocol.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:44:43 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »

The users manual and quick start guide for the FanLinc are on the web page dave w posted.

I have been helping someone in the Smarthome Forums with a FanLinc.
They have one of the more deluxe type Casablanca fans with digital remote controls.
In their case it looks like all the intelligent controls need to be removed and the motor running capacitor has to be directly wired to the fan motor, for the FanLinc to work.
Not sure how much control a X10 power line signal can do with the fan. If I read the specifications correctly. X10 only can do On and Off for the fan part of the FanLinc.

mikeeps2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

hi , sorry for ask in this post ,,, that fanlinc module ,only working with you wall keypad and handheld remote or can working with x10 commands

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »

The Fanlinc can have an optional X10 address programed into it. One for the fan motor {On and Off only with X10} and one for the light if the fan has a light on it. So any X10 power line controller can control it.
An Insteon keypad or remote can also set the fans speed. Since it is Dual Band. It can be controlled by an Insteon power line signal from their KeyPadLinc or any Insteon controller. I believe their RemoteLinc2 can also control it through the RF Insteon Commands.

Full Users Manual has many details. Like a how an X10 address is added.
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2475f.pdf
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:21:37 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.