Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need some airsight help.....bad!  (Read 2874 times)

mikebhoff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I need some airsight help.....bad!
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:08:31 AM »

I need to monitor my vacation home so I bought an xx40, Hughsnet and a linksys wireless router.  Everything works fine wirelessly as long as I am using my LAN.  But...I cannot access this cam remotely. RAther than spend a lot of space saying what I've tried, let me make it short by saying that I've followed TO THE LETTER the post by Tyler E many times, also the Foscam set-up posts. I also bought a Netgear router. I also cannot access it using the DDNS address for the camera. I've been working every single night for 3 weeks and if I can't get it working I want to cancel Hughsnet service because I only bought it for this camera. (one more week left)   The only thing I can think is maybe I have to leave and use a different computer because all I can do here to go off my network is hotspot my iphone on 3G. I think that should work. But I am ready to give up.     Please help here!  Mike

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: I need some airsight help.....bad!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »

I need to monitor my vacation home so I bought an xx40, Hughsnet and a linksys wireless router.  Everything works fine wirelessly as long as I am using my LAN.  But...I cannot access this cam remotely. RAther than spend a lot of space saying what I've tried, let me make it short by saying that I've followed TO THE LETTER the post by Tyler E many times, also the Foscam set-up posts. I also bought a Netgear router. I also cannot access it using the DDNS address for the camera. I've been working every single night for 3 weeks and if I can't get it working I want to cancel Hughsnet service because I only bought it for this camera. (one more week left)   The only thing I can think is maybe I have to leave and use a different computer because all I can do here to go off my network is hotspot my iphone on 3G. I think that should work. But I am ready to give up.     Please help here!  Mike
are ports being blocked by your internet provider?

mikebhoff

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

I don't know.  I thought port forwarding the router was all it took. Why would the provider block you? Is there a way around it?
Would that also block the direct ddns direct connection?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »

Many routers don't support loop back.
you'll need to try from a different location  or with your phone as long as your not connected to your router with the phone for an internet connection.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mikebhoff

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »

Ya thats what I thought to but I thought this would cover that     "all I can do here to go off my network is hotspot my iphone on 3G"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »

if you set up a guest account and Private Message me the info I can remotely check.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

richy2

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

I don't know.  I thought port forwarding the router was all it took. Why would the provider block you? Is there a way around it?
Would that also block the direct ddns direct connection?

Yes ISP block ports.
What port are you using? If you read the manual it says Don't use port 80, it says change your port from 80 to something like 8080.

Away around it is call your provider and ask them if they are blocking the port you use and can they unblock it.

If i remember right...Optimum was blocking my port 80 but i can open close it myself thru the Optimum website.

mikebhoff

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:38:46 AM »

I'm using port 8090. From what I'm learning, HughesNet is blocking all the ports and the only way to get around it is to pay extra for a static IP address.  When I called Hughesnet customer support the technician suggested I try to find a free static IP service. I don't understand how that would unblock a port but I have to try.   AAhh so much to learn so little time. BTW I did try to access from Starbucks with no luck but there are so many different settings I've been using that it would just be a fluke if something actually worked.

richy2

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »

I'm using port 8090. From what I'm learning, HughesNet is blocking all the ports and the only way to get around it is to pay extra for a static IP address.  When I called Hughesnet customer support the technician suggested I try to find a free static IP service. I don't understand how that would unblock a port but I have to try.   AAhh so much to learn so little time. BTW I did try to access from Starbucks with no luck but there are so many different settings I've been using that it would just be a fluke if something actually worked.
I guess HughesNet is your only option sooooo....

Get a FREE or PAID DDNS provider. Paid is better and not that expensive ( dyn.com ), it like $14per year.

Try this thought, change your port to 80, and see if it works using the airsight.net ddns.
HughesNet may not be block port 80.

(I don't understand how that would unblock a port ) It won't .. You would be kinda be bypassing HughesNet and using the the DDNS provider who ports are going be open.

Im not a techy, but i am a problem thinker/solver.

mikebhoff

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »

Thanks Richy, Im a dumbass wanna techy.
I think this holiday today, I'll spend with the ddns approach.  I'm going to assume that when the hughs tech said "free static IP service" that he was referring to a ddns service.  I'll start with the port 80.   They told me I have 11 days left on my free trial.  At 60 bucks a month I wont hesitate to tell them to come out and take all there junk back to the shop, because after 11 days I'm stuck for 2 years with an internet that is slower than my 3G hotspottable phone.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.