Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to x10 horrible basement wiring need help.  (Read 5599 times)

dorianO

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to x10 horrible basement wiring need help.
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »

Hello,

Looking to install some kind of solution to the mess my basement is in. I have an open basement with a light switch on either end that turns on/off all the lights and fans wired in between (1 circuit). My question to the experts is how do I fix this so I have individual control over every light and fan? Recommended product list would be greatly appreciated.

v/r
Dorian

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: New to x10 horrible basement wiring need help.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »

Do one or both of the light switches have a neutral line present?

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog.html
If you have a neutral you could use an XPT in both switch boxes with the appropriate faceplate which determines how many devices can be controlled. The XPT puts out digital codes that control target devices. So each device needs s receiver which directly controls the device. i.e. XPFM for fan (ON-OFF only) and XPDF for incandescnet (only) lights. Or the RLM20 Socket Rocket could be used in the fixtures for incandescent bulbs (I use them for CFLs and LED bulbs also although not recommended by X10) If your fans and lights simply plug-in the Appliance Module and Lamp Modules will work http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Also you might look at Smarthome.com, as under their Insteon line they have  FanLinc which can control fan speed and lighting fixture and keypad switches with more capacity than the X10 brand. http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx

Besides drilling down through the catalogs will give you a better sense of remote control capabilities.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dorianO

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Dave! I will have to take a look and see if there is a neutral line. Also looking at the products you recommended. Since I'm seeing that the control pads can only do 3-4 devices would it be possible to split up the my lights and fans to 2 different controllers on the same circuit?

D.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:43 AM »

Yes you could use two X10Pro XPT controllers with XP4 button sets. To get two 4 address controllers. With different X10 addresses in them and then have 8 receivers each on its own address. Now if you want to control more than one light with a button. Then all the receivers on the same address will respond to one on off button set.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpt.pdf

Smarthome does have an 8 button Insteon keypad. I believe each button can have an X10 address programmed into it but you would need another X10 controller to program the buttons. As it comes with none programed into it and is primarily an Insteon switch.
Also be prepaired for sticker shock with any Insteon devices.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:42:39 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »

Smarthome does have an 8 button Insteon keypad. I believe each button can have an X10 address programmed into it but you would need another X10 controller to program the buttons. As it comes with none programed into it and is primarily an Insteon switch.
Since the OP has no X10 now, would a pure Insteon system be the way to go? Higher cost, but perhaps less problems(?).

Yes I know, promoting Insteon on the X10 forum is uncouth, but X10 is still limping along with incomplete product lines. I am not sure the X10 Pro stuff is available unless old stock with unknown vendors, and X10 needs a product similar to FanLinc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »

Using Insteon could depend on their needs.
There is no presently available Insteon equivalent of a Socket Rocket. The SocketLinc dimmer is one of the modules Smarthome quietly made disappear.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.