💬General Category > General Discussion

New x10 Wi-Fi unit

(1/100) > >>

Tuicemen:
Many of you have read Authinx is working on a X10 Wi-Fi unit.
Many like my self are very excited about this unit and want to know as much about it as possible.
Some have posted questions on my site or other sites with concerns some even contacted me with questions.
I forwarded those questions which were then passed on to the manufacture.
The manufacture wishes to know why these are important to us?
Not that some aren't already implemented.
x10(Authinx) wants to know if there are any other questions /suggestions as well.
This doesn't mean all will be implemented as they don't wish to delay the release anymore then needs be.
So I asked to post this.
Please reply stating why each is important to you?
There is no name for the device yet so they are looking for suggestion there but want it simple
Also If you have any other suggestions please post them here as well I doubt I'll need to forward your suggestions or questions as the owner does read the forum.

Here are some of your Questions & my ideas for the reason:

* Name? Reason:  it helps to know what others are referring to easier to remember then a model Number
My ideas: X10AirWave, ProAir, or AirHub-I  
Others Suggestions: X10 NextGen Controller, Wi-Fi CM critter, FIDELITY Controller, X10 Wi-Fi controller, i X10, X10WiFiCommander,  X10AirFi, CONX10-AIR,Xtense-fi
* Will it send AND receive both x10 RF/PLC?
Reason:  this is important as X10 is a mix of RF and PLC.PLC isn't dead far from it.  The unit needs to be plugged in for power anyways as for RF it reduced the need for a transceiver and will allow it to interface with the security  and motion sensors
Also I wish to use this in a off grid location running solar so the fewer things I need plugged in the better
 sending the power-mid devices RF would be a bonus
* Will it send IR as well?
Reason:  this would allow control of TVs and other entertainment devices
* Will it have a Ethernet connection?
Reason:  it would save users having to buy an additional Wi-Fi router to interface with their home network
it would allows anything on the home network the ability to talk to it
users without a Wi-Fi router would still be able to connect remotely
* Will it have a USB connection?
Reason:  this would allow an interface to a PC making updates easier
would allow for a PC connection... a PLUS if running local sensors and/or software
it would allow future hardware expansion
* Does this just use the cloud like other failed launches?
Reason:  we don't want to be tide to a outside server look what happened with X10 and AHP servers
give us connect options here
some ISP could flag Urls as suspicious address and so would cut connections until users communicated with then to reinstate
it should not be necessary to access external servers to maintain system operation or reinstall programs on a new PC.
servers going down even for a brief moment disables the reliability of a setup
* Will it be firmware upgradeable?
Reason:  this is a no brainer bugs always creep into things firmware updates will help fix these as well help add extra options as they become available.
Users don't wish to have to keep buying another unit when ever a new option is added
* Will it interface with my cameras?
Reason: This may be were a USB adaptor could come to play for those still using wired cameras or a va12/13.
 Wi-Fi cameras should be a easy add with a simple firmware update it helps with security and
* Will this interface with my AHP software?
Reason: it would be nice to use the power of that software another reason for the USB addaptor
* Will a SDK or API be released?
Reason: This will make this unit desirable to other software developers increasing user demand for the unit
ability to expand... even FLOOD the market with desirable software
* Will it have a replaceable external antenna?
Reason: Many users have issues with current X10 RF signals the ability to add a bigger eternal antenna would help with that issue
 it's the range that's required. An antenna "plug" of some sort could fix ALOT for some users
* will this have local storage for events like timers and macros or will end users need a PC?
Reason: many are looking for a stand alone unit for control, not having to be connected to a PC except maybe to upload info is a big plus

* Is this a replacement controller to the cm15?
Reason: for clarification
* Is there plans to have this send Wi-Fi commands to other devices?
Reason: Since new Wi-Fi controllable devices are coming on the market all the time It would be nice to have one unit that could talk to them. for example a thermostat (many brands), WeMo devices (Berlin) Wi-Fi LEDs (MiLight, Philips hue)
Could be a real bonus for users of mixed brands
* Software abilities?
Reason: for clarification,will it have macros ,floor plan layouts, timers?

* Will this send email alerts?
Reason: Ability to send a reconnect notification or other alarm notifications
Note: I'll update my list as users post with reasons and new suggestions.
Please reply as this will affect how powerful this device will be initially

The manufacture now has this list and we are awaiting feed back.
>!

Knightrider:
I would like clarification: is this a replacement controller to the cm15? Will it have local storage to run. on its own without a pc?
I guess I was anticipating a wifi unit like a module that circumvented plc. Like a AM or LM that received commands through wifi instead of PLC.

Tuicemen:
My understanding is this is a controller and is not a replacement for the cm15 AHP
Although if it transceived RF and PLC to then it could replace the cm15
Update:
           I received confirmation this is a controller that presently relays commands via PLC. :)%

Knightrider:
X10 NextGen Controller

bcwmachine:
As my cm15a is a long way from my computer (by usb standards), a critter similar to the cm15 but wifi instead of usb would be great.
Bruce

name? Wi-Fi CM critter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version