Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165506 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit (input requested)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:05 AM »

• Will it have a USB connection?
    Reason:  this would allow an interface to a PC making updates easier
    would allow for a PC connection... a PLUS if running local sensors and/or software
    it would allow future hardware expansion
A serial port would be more attractive than USB for those who might want to write software to support this unit. USB is an order of magnitude more difficult to code for. There are excellent USB-Serial adapters costing less than $10 for those who want to use it with a PC that lacks serial ports. And, embedded USB is very difficult because of the massive overhead USB imposes, making serial far more attractive for interfacing with embedded controllers like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc.

Also, given that it's WiFi, that could be used for communicating with any PC in the local network, obviating the need for USB.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:37:55 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »

Also, given that it's WiFi, that could be used for communicating with any PC in the local network, obviating the need for USB.
So true.
These were only questions mostly put forth by members which I merely forwarded to X10 which were then pasted on to the manufacturer.
We are unfortunately still waiting for a reply back from them (the manufacturer) B:(
Doing some digging I found Marmitek has a similar unit already available to the European market. ::) :'
I asked if the North American unit would be similar and was told it will be a different animal.
Of coarse it will be, ::)  the RF frequency has to be different as well as the power supply. :'
There is also a app available for it which I suspect will work with the new WI-FI. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

The Marmitek unit appears to be no more than a bridge between a wired network (home LAN) connection and the CM15Pro (or other RF transceiver) relying on the CM15Pro for macros, etc. And, if there's a WiFi router in the network, it would allow for communication with any WiFi enabled device that is allowed a network connection. But, it appears to be one-way, sending X10 RF but getting no feedback from the X10 system.

Based on the limited information we've seen so far, the new unit from Authinx appears to be more robust - perhaps eliminating the need for a CM15A.

However, if Marmitek has followed recent X10 designs, it may use third party RF transmitter/receiver modules. If so, adapting it for N. America would merely require replacing the RF modules and the power supply (or maybe just the power cord).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:49:45 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »

Based on the limited information we've seen so far, the new unit from Authinx appears to be more robust - perhaps eliminating the need for a CM15A.
True, we should get something more robust.
From what I've been hearing the initial release will not be a full featured device with everything users are looking for (eliminating the cm15a).
However it is hoped it can be expanded on.
We should start to see more info leaking out on this by mid March.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »

Someone just posted this link on my own Forum:

http://pj88global.com/?p=72

Is that perhaps the Wi-Fi unit that is being discussed here?  If not, is this another company that is entering the X10 arena?  They are based in Hong Kong.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »

This states it is Bluetooth so it isn't the same. I will forward this link to Authinx to see what they have to say.
It looks to me like another company entering the arena as they have other modules which look similar to x10 modules but with a "IPCE" label. 
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »

Apparently Authinx was approached by this company but ipce never came back with any more details. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »

If not, is this another company that is entering the X10 arena?  They are based in Hong Kong.

There are a few companies in and around Hong Kong that have been making 230V X10 devices for the S.E. Asia/Australia/New Zealand markets. It would make sense for Authinx to work with one of them.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »

And still.... we wait.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »

And still.... we wait.
I had thought I/we would have heard more on this by now.
The last I heard a case was in the design phase.
I fired off a email to see if I can gain any more info to share with the community.
Hopefully I'll hear something shortly.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 11:26:23 PM »

Hopefully I'll hear something shortly.

I saw they got IP cameras back on the X10.com Site. Was good to see a useable albeit older version of the AHP software up on an X10 server. It's nice to see progress. The successes gives everyone hope!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

Info Update:
A proto type Wi-Fi unit should be in testing by next week as it is in route to the owner.
Once Authinx has the unit for testing I may be able to supply some more info, ::) :'

This proto type unit is in a cm15 case but anything Authinx currently has tooling for and will hold it will work.
They don't feel the need to add extra tooling for a case as that would drive up the cost.
(I'll go over the list of available tooling to see what else may work)
Initial name for this is WiFi2X10 but this too isn't set in stone and names will still be considered until launch.
The unit will be capable of Wi-Fi to RF or Wi-Fi to PLC but not both as to signal command clash.(not sure if it will be selectable or based on the module it is sending commands to)
Mass production version will allow for timed macros without smartphone connection.
(it must have some memory)

>!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »

Info Update:
A proto type Wi-Fi unit should be in testing by next week as it is in route to the owner.

YEA!!!!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

Initial name for this is WiFi2X10 but this too isn't set in stone and names will still be considered until launch.
As long as they don't call it a "CM15A" (or any other module name that has already been used), right?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »

As long as they don't call it a "CM15A" (or any other module name that has already been used), right?
I have been told unlike X10WTI all new devices will have new model numbers to avoid confusion.
This should hold true for changes made to existing modules  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.