Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165512 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »

So is there anyway someone could pay to be part of this test?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 08:00:34 AM »

I doubt this first proto build as I'm told only one or two units are being sent.
I suspect this will be for the owner to review and give a stamp of approval.
However I will pass on your Question.
Maybe I can convince them of an prerelease (beta test) involving some active forum members. ::) :'
This would most likely be once the hardware and case are given approval but who knows ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ryann

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »

Hi, When the new X10 WiFi unit will be available? I'm considering to replace my MC10A with a new controller that can work with my iPhone. I also found bluetooth controller (http://pj88global.com/?cat=4) that will be available early May, the company said WiFi version will follow 2-3 months later. I would like to see comments from the forum members before decision made. Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »

I all new devices will have new model numbers to avoid confusion.
Yes! They need to do that to re-enforce the idea that this is "under NEW management". Otherwise there will be more of the idea that (new) X10 has the "X10" name so they have, or get to inherit, (old) X10 problems. So far, it seems (new) X10 is doing everything right. I'm rooting for a complete quality and profitability turn-around.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »

Hi, When the new X10 WiFi unit will be available? I'm considering to replace my MC10A with a new controller that can work with my iPhone. I also found bluetooth controller (http://pj88global.com/?cat=4) that will be available early May, the company said WiFi version will follow 2-3 months later. I would like to see comments from the forum members before decision made. Thanks.

The new WI-FI unit is still a ways away, I suspect(hope) before ipce has one. In any case it will most likely be compatible.
The ipce Bluetooth unit will be obsolete once a WIFI version is made due to range I suspect.

The WIFI2X10 initial proto type was shipped to Authinx for approval.
Only one unit was supplied but I'm told it does work.
The operation is quite simple. You plug the unit in an outlet and then make a connection with an app on your phone. You then setup the modules and you can control it remotely
A report is to be sent to the manufacture at weeks end at which time I suspect an new build will be created.
There are issues to be worked out with the proto type unit.( I suspect to due with the case they placed it in)
Authinx quality standards must be meet and they suspect 2 to 4 more builds will be needed before that is the case and it is ready for mass production.
Also Apps for the different OS devices will need to be created which also must pass approval.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »

Modifications are currently being made to the case I'm told.
It currently appears it may be more in looks with the RR501 hopefully with a pass threw outlet.
I should hear more by the end of the week. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »

YEA!!!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »

I think it is fantastic that Authinx is putting some priority on X10 PLC/RF products and is working on this.  Wi-Fi control from a phone or tablet via a single embedded plug-in device is something that competing systems have already had for a while.  Some are even in retail brick-and-mortar stores.  I do hope Authinx is not trying to pack too many features into the initial offering, though.  I am all for getting the most bang for the buck, but scope creep is an ugly beast.  Developing more features takes more time, and if they are not given enough development time, bugs or design decisions are overlooked and the product performs poorly.  There were many examples of this in X10TWI's previous products.  I expect that first-time automators who want something more plug-and-play are choosing other HA systems every day because those systems work with their iPhone/Android/tablet out of the box and X10 does not.  X10 needs this as soon as possible and it needs to work as well as possible, but it should not try to be everything to everyone.  Establish a solid foundation and ship that, then build on it later with a follow-up product.

These are my suggestions for the initial product...
The possibility for firmware updates is a must, as is bidirectional PLC and RF communication.  The PLC absolutely needs to implement AGC, collision avoidance (politeness), and preferably collision detection (sensing a received "1" when it is sending a "0" and retrying).  It needs to allow the app on the controlling device (phone/tablet/whatever) to create a layout of rooms and devices matched with X10 house and unit codes and maybe 10 macros, and it would be nice for the controller to store that data itself and sync it to apps on other devices.  Everything else can wait for version 2.0.  Sure, I would ultimately want some more flexibility, and those of us who have used X10 a long time and have our own controllers and software tweaked just how we like it already know exactly what we want.  I am always looking to expand my system, but right now I am more concerned about it staying relevant as a serious platform on which vendors can continue to build and sell new devices.  The focus of this release should be about reducing the barrier to entry for X10 as a general consumer product.  In that area, X10 has some catching up to do.

I see that I may be a little late for the design as a prototype already exists, but hopefully this will be acknowledged as a general philosophy.  I have used X10 for many years.  Having modified the hardware in many modules and written some of my own software with the AHSDK, I would consider myself an advanced user.  But I won't demand that this product cater to all my wants and wishes.  Right now, I would be happy with just seeing X10's reputation repaired because that is the best way to protect my investment in the long term.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »

Authinx doesn't plan to jam every thing into the initial release, they are already thinking about a version 2 so to speak.
I don't think you have to worry about the initial phone interface.
Having tested one of there new Airsight cameras they use a smartphone to get you up and viewing very quickly.
Software is easier to improve apon then hardware and since Authinx has always handled the Pro line they are more concerned with quality then quantitiy
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »

I second the vote for flashable firmware.
If this new device is going to act as a web server, then they need to include the ability for them to add features to it later.
It would be nice if they would open up the standards enough to allow the users to write custom programs for it at some point, as well. That should include all of the functions (especially the one to store macros and timers in the device).
If they went one step further and put the software specs out there for everyone, they can be pretty certain that the user community will put a lot of energy into writing an improved interface - which would allow them to focus more on hardware improvements.
X10WTI's model of charging for the software (or making it seem like they were) made no sense when the software only worked with the hardware, and you needed to get the hardware from them (or a reseller) anyway. Had they opened the software up from the beginning (or at least right before they went belly-up), then the user community would have been able to improve it, which could have led to an increase in sales.

lsammarco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »

Any updates to the availability of this unit?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 07:35:34 AM »

Any updates to the availability of this unit?
The last I heard was the software was in development for it.
Unfortunately Holidays tend to slow interaction with the manufacture.

I have fired off an email requesting more info.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »

I hope they do a better job on their Software than the INSTEON Hub.

There is no offset for a sunset/sunset. The SW does not support multiple commands as the same time, including sunrise or sunset. It does not support multiple time periods for the same device like on at 6 am, off at 9 am, on at 6 pm and off at 10 pm. Poor security - no login at all. If you port forward your router to the Hub anyone can change anything you have connected. Glitchy, buggy, not ready for prime time.

These are just a few of the problems with it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »

X10 still hasn't heard anything new back from the manufacture B:(
Being from China I expect some software glitches with the initial product.
However the new owners of X10 are more conscious of quality, this has slowed the release of some of the other new products.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »

Many have been looking for a update on this so here it is.

A new developer was hired to redo the interface the old one just wasn't up to pare for X10 or the manufacture.
Also some hardware changes were made to improve performance. I'm not sure just what that is but is on the Wi-Fi side of things.
A new sample should be ready for X10 testing and approval by the end of July.
The owner understands everyone's eagerness to get their hands on one of these but they want to make sure it is a quality piece of equipment.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.