Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165546 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »

Wireshark probably works for this, just not my area of knowledge.  I wasn't expecting open source software, just a full documentation of the communication protocol.  If communication is via API commands, it may not be an issue either way since one can just watch network traffic to see what's sent.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »

Wireshark basically watches network traffic and captures it for you to view later.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »

The newest WI-FI module build still hasn't arrived @ Authinx.  :(
They must have put it on the slow boat. rofl

I was however able to gather a bit more info.
The manufacture changed the IC from the original design, in doing this the WI-FI became unstable thus the new hardware build.
This also meant a software rebuild (I believe that's the 4th software change) :(
I've also learned this will not have RF capabilities only PLC.
I'm told the PLC will feature the reliability enhancements destine for all module rebuilds
I'm also told RF may be added to a future model.
So it looks like for now,this will not replace a CM15A
Hopefully the testing Phase will go a little smoother.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2015, 02:04:22 AM »

So...  No X10 RF.  No X10 Security RF.  Still no Powermid RF.  We  hope the end product will at least be able to receive PLC.

So what I'm hearing is we're getting a (hopefully sophisticated) programable timer / scene controller that turns your smart phone into a X10 remote.

Definitely not a good substitute for the CM15A.

Might make a good paperweight?  ???

Sorry.  Just a little disappointed.   :(
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2015, 07:34:48 AM »

The no RF features is a major disappointment for many.
I myself was sure this was to be a major part of this module. :(
Cost was the main reason this was not included however I feel not including RF makes this less of a must have.

I'm still trying to get more info on this but I feel the owner doesn't wish to reveal to much without the next proto type in front of him.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »

So...  No X10 RF.  No X10 Security RF.  Still no Powermid RF.  We  hope the end product will at least be able to receive PLC.
I am developing an Arduino shield that does all the above (except Powermid RF) and a bit more. See...
http://davehouston.org/ultimate-X10.htm
I hope to order prototype PCBs next week.

The initial release will be an Arduino UNO R3 clone with the PLC shield. An Arduino mega2560 R3 + megaShield will come a bit later. The megaShield version will have some 50 unused Arduino mega2560 pins so adding Powermid RF and other features will be possible. (I had not thought of Powermid RF prior to your post.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:43:18 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »

The no RF features is a major disappointment for many.
I myself was sure this was to be a major part of this module. :(
Cost was the main reason this was not included however I feel not including RF makes this less of a must have.

I'm still trying to get more info on this but I feel the owner doesn't wish to reveal to much without the next proto type in front of him.

I suppose I shouldn't be too disrespectful, since at least they're trying, and I have no idea who they think they are marketing to.  But, like most here, I was really hoping for a modern version of the CM15A with some better specs and wifi connectivity.  Not even including features the CM15A already has just seems like a step backwards.   B:(
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2015, 11:14:49 PM »

I am developing an Arduino shield that does all the above (except Powermid RF) and a bit more. See...
http://davehouston.org/ultimate-X10.htm
I hope to order prototype PCBs next week.

The initial release will be an Arduino UNO R3 clone with the PLC shield. An Arduino mega2560 R3 + megaShield will come a bit later. The megaShield version will have some 50 unused Arduino mega2560 pins so adding Powermid RF and other features will be possible. (I had not thought of Powermid RF prior to your post.)

Sounds like an interesting project for us hardware / software hackers.   >!  Probably not for the plug-n-play crowd though.   :'
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2015, 07:37:20 AM »

Actually, the UNO version will be pretty much plug'n'play but will lack expandibility. The mega2560 version will still be plug'n'play for the X10 functions but allows for lots of expansion by "hardware / software hackers". One caveat - any RF transmit capabilities require a bit of hacking because of FCC rules requiring expensive testing in an FCC-approved lab.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »

....... But, like most here, I was really hoping for a modern version of the CM15A with some better specs and wifi connectivity.  Not even including features the CM15A already has just seems like a step backwards.   B:(

Agreed
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »

One caveat - any RF transmit capabilities require a bit of hacking because of FCC rules requiring expensive testing in an FCC-approved lab.
I thought part of the reason for buying the prebuilt RF modules was that they were already certified.  Am I mistaken in that assumption?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »

I thought part of the reason for buying the prebuilt RF modules was that they were already certified.  Am I mistaken in that assumption?

Yes, you are mistaken. AFAIK all transmitters and super-regenerative receivers still require certified testing in their production form and all transmitters require an antenna that is difficult to change/modify. They get an FCC ID number. The rules have been relaxed for superheterodyne receivers to allow self-testing. They get a "Tested to comply..." label. X10 went to superheterodyne a few years ago in the TM751 to save on testing. End users can have 4-5 DIY transmitters which must comply with sound engineering practices.

For example, the 4-pin transmitter module from Wen Shing sold by Spark Fun and many others might be used here, in Europe which allows about 10x the power, or in Australia which allows about 10x what Europe allows.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10535

DIYers can change the SAW resonator on the 315MHz transmitter if they want to do X10 RF.
http://www.cdadapter.com/sr310.htm
DIYers outside N. America can buy 433.92MHz transmitter modules off-the-shelf.

One more caveat - the PLC Interface and PLC Amp require user assembly for the same reason Jeff Volp requires a liability waiver for his assembled units - UL testing is far beyond my means. And, my spinal cord injury makes it difficult for me to do any assembly beyond prototypes. And, for those allergic to solder, the controller can be used with the TW523/PSC05 or equivalents (e.g. XTB-523, XTB-IIR).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:38:49 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »

On the topic of hacking, I recall that several years ago, an X10 user in S. America published plans for converting several modules to 230V. I suspect it would be equally easy to convert a universal plug version of the 230V XM10 (similar to TW523 functionally) to 120V.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:54:38 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »

Sounds like an interesting project for us hardware / software hackers.   >!  Probably not for the plug-n-play crowd though.   :'

I do have an earlier design (CM15A2Z) which I deep-sixed when X10 went belly-up. It is a daughterboard that replaces the Cypress MCU in the CM15A and has the same feature set as the Arduino shield design. Users would have to desolder the MCU and EEPROM, replacing them with the daughterboard and 128KB EEPROM. It is certainly not plug-n-play but avoids UL issues.

Now that they are again selling the CM15A, I may exhume the CM15A2Z design after I get the shield versions released.

After sleeping on this I realized that, since my CM15A2Z daughterboard included an RS232 port (in addition to the USB port), it could support external serial devices like the ESP8266 WiFi module or the HC-05 Bluetooth module. The external devices would need their own 3.3V power supply since the FTDI FT230X USB/SER converter used on the daughterboard cannot supply 3.3V let alone the rather high current needed by the WiFi module..

As there already are interface boards available for both the WiFi and Bluetooth modules, this comes closer to being a Plug'n'Play solution (especially if Authinx would supply the new CM15As with a socketed Cypress MCU). It's likely to appeal to more users than either PLC Shield or mega PLC Shield versions. Authinx is welcome to the design should they like to build them right from the start. A minor tweak of the CM15A PCB to relocate the RF transmitter would allow a larger daughterboard that could directly accommodate the ESP8266 and a 3V3 regulator, thus WiFi enabling the CM15A. (I'll demonstrate this with one of my CM15As.)

I've done a quick edit of the CM15A2Z webpage I created a couple of years back. See...
http://davehouston.org/cm15a2z.htm
And, since I already have a handful of bare daughterboards, all I need is a few components to build & test this idea. So, stay tuned.

EDIT: On second (make that third or fourth) thought, I can do this with no changes to the CM15A - although supplying it with a socketed MCU would make this an easy task, even for those with a solder allergy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:45:17 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »

I'll be sending the redesigned, ESP8266WiFi-ready daughterboard to the PCB manufacturers today/tomorrow. I expect to have a few daughterboards ready for initial testing in 10-12 days.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.