Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165584 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »

He is concerned that many may like you, have doubts that this really exists.
Yeah, me also. And I'm the one holding my breath. I'm getting a little blue. This one product would help put Authinx on competitive footing with the likes of all these smartphone controlled devices I see in Verizon, ATT, Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. This thread is a year and a half old. Yeah, I can control our home with my smartphone, and tablet,  but the WiFi module would make the process less expensive and easier which should put it back in the hands of the casual HA enthusiast. Authinx really needs to learn how to deal with the Chinese manufacturer. Maybe they should have kept a couple of the old WTI management staff as consultants as they was one of the first US companies to use Chinese manufacturing.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2015, 06:23:32 PM »

Authinx really needs to learn how to deal with the Chinese manufacturer. Maybe they should have kept a couple of the old WTI management staff as consultants as they was one of the first US companies to use Chinese manufacturing.
Maybe they need a translator or they finally found one! rofl
The old WTI management most likely wouldn't have helped here as we probably would have had the first proto type or worse the second in our pile of useless X10 devices.
The first proto type Authinx receive was very quickly put together since their using the same manufacturer X10WTI used you can imaging the quality of this first build. And since the manufacturer was use to "make it better" meaning "make it cheaper", the next build was worse. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:27 PM »

Since making the above comment and having thought about it, I should walk it back. I worked for Motorola at an engineering, design, and manufacturing center in south Florida for 28 years and a 2 year product development cycle was not unusual. I guess I am just too anxious.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »

I guess I am just too anxious.
As are we all!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2015, 07:11:16 AM »

a 2 year product development cycle was not unusual. I guess I am just too anxious.

Wow!  Back at the lab 6 months was more typical for clean sheet hardware and software development.  A development cycle over a year was a huge project.  (Read that as many-millions of dollars.)

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan1

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »

I'm assured this animal does in fact exists and I should have one shortly.
I hope by next week but it is coming snail mail. :(

Will you be able to post a photo of the wi-fi module?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »

Yes I will post a photo as soon as I get the module.

I have the Android app installed now on my phone and added some devices for testing when the unit arrives.
The app has basic devices, rooms, timers and scenes.
You need to add devices first then you can create rooms and place the devices in a created room.
Timers require a connection to the module to setup as I assume do scenes.
Once I have and can run the unit I'll post a review.
The app Looks OK so hopefully it doesn't have any major bugs.
I do see some areas for tweaking but these are minor and shouldn't need to be done before a release, which would hold that up.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2015, 04:45:13 PM »

a 2 year product development cycle was not unusual. I guess I am just too anxious.

Wow!  Back at the lab 6 months was more typical for clean sheet hardware and software development.  A development cycle over a year was a huge project.  (Read that as many-millions of dollars.)

The longest cycle I remember was for the business/public safety bands  2-way portable radio that made the transition from transistors and through the hole technology to replaceable, hybrid, modulerized portable, sporting PLLs, op amps, Mylar flex circuits, high level encryption, etc. (Late 70s and 2 grand base price ). It took GE five years to catch up with a competing product. 

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »

Ahhh....the MX series portable.  I remember it well - I was 20 years with Motorola.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »

I was with one of the Motorola Local repair shops.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »

Ahhh....the MX series portable.  I remember it well - I was 20 years with Motorola.
The man wins a prize off the top shelf!  ;D

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »

Seems when ever I wish to get my hands on something quickly there is a hiccup! B:(
My test unit sailed threw customs but an address (postal code) miss print has delayed every thing by a week. :'(
Finding a correct postal code only takes seconds ::) :' Discovering a wrong one takes days to a week? ::)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan1

« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

My test unit sailed threw customs but an address (postal code) miss print has delayed every thing by a week. :'(
Finding a correct postal code only takes seconds ::) :' Discovering a wrong one takes days to a week? ::)

Typical government agency nonsense. Too lazy/stupid to put down coffee and look up proper postal code on computer. Why is the postal code so important to (assuming Canadian) Customs? US Customs is a bureaucracy too but I don't think a bad zipcode would hold them up.

(Off-topic but it's a shame we can't seem to build gadgets like this in the US or Canada anymore.)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2015, 12:41:34 PM »

Why is the postal code so important to (assuming Canadian) Customs? US Customs is a bureaucracy too but I don't think a bad zipcode would hold them up.
Customs wasn't a issue it was the postal service.
After getting the item I guess they just look at the postal so it got sent to the wrong city.
Funny how it got to that city in less then a day however it will take a week (their estimate)  now with the correct postal code for it to get to me.  B:(
At least I know it is for sure on its way. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan1

« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »

Similar thing used to happen to me. I'd occasionally receive mail for a nearby medical office whose address was not even close to mine. Couldn't figure it out until I noticed that the mail had my 'zip+4' in the address. USPS reads it and sends the mail to my house based on that. I told my letter carrier and he took care of it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.