Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165510 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #345 on: January 26, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »

.... Your idea certainly won't be quick or easy for someone that is uncomfortable with anything above point and click.

I am fine with a lot more than point and click. But the little java scripts are a hobby in themselves. I have plenty enough little hobbies now. The last thing I need is to take up... yet one more... activity that would keep me inside and on the laptop/PC. I remember the HeyU guys. I always thought they were attracted to X10/HA only because it gave them an outlet to write useful code. And I still think I was right.

The really great thing about apps... are they have mandated a certain amount of finish and polish to tiny programs.

It's like with Home Theaters... many of the other Theater owners I've met are audiophiles. And the theater makes a great outlet for the audio hobby. In my case... my wife and I are movie enthusiasts and the theater is an outlet for movie watching (and collecting).

By the way.... I just added a Cree wifi/HA light bulb ($15 Home Depot) to my setup. Not a bad choice for a single bulb light setup. Of course my ihome setup doesn't allow for Cree... and for Alexa a hub is required. So the Wink Hub was really handy.

Now running 2-3 different brands of the X10 protocol devices
Alexa
Wink Hub
ihome, power plugs
Cree wifi/HA light bulb
My Q (chamberlain) garage and light/power device. I deliberately have avoided adding the garage door to Alexa. I don't think having a door anyone can open by telling Alexa to open it... is a secure idea. But it is still phone controlled.

If the was a reliable and reasonably priced hub out there that could control X10 (yes I know about the Insteon hub) I'd buy it. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:15:31 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »

You really should look at the HA-Bridge.
Even if you don't wish to use Alex10 the bridge is capable of running on many different OS.

I believe all your devices could be controlled with it. This doesn't have to use little Java scripts but it could.
I'm looking at a app that puts Linux on your Android device (no need to root) that way I could run the HA-Bridge on my TV box.
I attempted this on my AirPad but the I think I need to re image it as it has gotten very slow.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

You really should look at the HA-Bridge.
Even if you don't wish to use Alex10 the bridge is capable of running on many different OS.

But what about a CM15A... or maybe better... a CM19A

....I'm looking at a app that puts Linux on your Android device (no need to root) that way I could run the HA-Bridge on my TV box.
I attempted this on my AirPad but the I think I need to re image it as it has gotten very slow.

I think might work great! A $35 android tablet, and $20 CM19A.... a couple apps, some drivers... and we'd have an
DIY X10 Hub.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

I like the TV boxes my self they don't seem to heat up as much(no battery) and can be found just as cheep. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »

I like the TV boxes my self they don't seem to heat up as much(no battery) and can be found just as cheep. ;)

That make good sense. I remove the batteries from my HA laptops.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »

Battery removal on a laptop is much simpler I also removed my wife's laptop battery as she tends to leave it plugged in and always on.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »

wait, why remove the battery? I find a battery backup that's built in and knows how to handle a power loss correctly without any setup or extra expense is a good thing.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

Many of the cheeper  or older laptops tablets continue to charge the battery even after fully charged this shortens battery life and in some cases will over heat and can cause a fire.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »

And now many laptops are coming with nonremovable batteries, or at least not-easily-removable batteries.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »

And now many laptops are coming with nonremovable batteries, or at least not-easily-removable batteries.
Laptops?  I can't imagine that being acceptable to anyone.  I have replaced the battery on my personal laptop 2x and it needs another replacement.  I can't imagine requiring me to buy a new laptop after 1-2 years because the battery is glued in place.  I'd never have purchased that model I guess.

Many of the cheeper  or older laptops tablets continue to charge the battery even after fully charged this shortens battery life and in some cases will over heat and can cause a fire.
That's a problem with some rechargable batteries, but Is that really an issue with laptops?  My work laptop lives in a docking station and is plugged in constantly.  My home laptop is either in use (draining the battery typically) or plugged in and inside a desk cabinet.

Both machines are Dell (one tech level and one entry level).  Both are ~2-4 years old.  Obviously the battery quality is different between the two since I've yet to replace the work laptop's battery and it still seems to last a couple hours.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »

That's a problem with some rechargable batteries, but Is that really an issue with laptops?  My work laptop lives in a docking station and is plugged in constantly.  My home laptop is either in use (draining the battery typically) or plugged in and inside a desk cabinet.
My wife's laptop battery lasted less then a year being constantly plugged in mine is over 4 years old and battery still lasts 4+ hours.
The desk gets very warm when I use my laptop plugged in. Not warm enough to burn but I certainly wouldn't place it in a closed cabinet charging. The cooling fan isn't doing much good if it is sucking in warm air.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #356 on: March 03, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »

Any news on the illusive WiFi module?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:26:31 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: March 03, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

I expect to hear something next week.
The manufacture has in the past shut down for the whole month February.
Unfortunately I'm not expecting any good news :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #359 on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »

Unfortunately I'm not expecting any good news :(
Well poo
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.