Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I use only a remote magnet switch on a DS12a  (Read 2914 times)

finman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can I use only a remote magnet switch on a DS12a
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:51:19 AM »

I am looking at installing several DS12 modules on my windows and doors and would like to use remote magnets so I can get the battery unit away from the window and door so I cannot be seen from the outside. Do I have to do something special to the internal reed switch so it does not send any signals or reduce battery life?

Please advise.  Thank you.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Can I use only a remote magnet switch on a DS12a
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:13:26 AM »

The DS12A has a terminal block in it to connect an external magnetic switch.
Page 1 of the DS12A instruction sheet shows it. Page 15 of the SC1200 Users Manual shows how to connect it and use it.

The DS12A has TWO separate Zones in it. Both the internal one and the external one can each be registered as a separate zone on the SC1200 Console.

I had issues with my door frames and used an external large detection gap magnet switch on mine. I just added the external zone to the console and never registered the internal zone. I put the included magnet in storage.

You do not have to do anything special if the internal zone was not registered to the console.
In a typical installation the external zone is not registered and nothing had to be done with it either.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:24:02 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »

Brian H,  I am curious. Can you still daisy-chain several reed switches to a single unit... like the old alarm?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:18:57 AM »

Yes you should be able to connect them in series. So any one of them opens the DS12A' external zone triggers.
The SC1200 Console also has two dedicated zones for hard wired sensors. Though I don't think too many users did it.

finman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't sure if I had to do anything with the internal switch, like it if it did not have a magnet next to it, it would maybe drain the batteries. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »

Every hour the DS12A and the older DS10A send a heartbeat signal about every 60 minutes back to the console. So it knows the sensor is OK.
The message is either Zone Open or Closed. The internal zone will just report open but not being registered . Nothing will happen.
Just like the normally unregistered external zone always reports closed if there is a shorting jumper across the terminals.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.