Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New XTB-IIR Install - Testerlinc and Rebirth of X10 capability!  (Read 3450 times)

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
New XTB-IIR Install - Testerlinc and Rebirth of X10 capability!
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:24:36 PM »

I just installed my new XTB-IIR yesterday (firmware v1.22) at default settings.  As advised by Jeff, I did not plug my 1132U PLC directly into the booster port (its a 3 prong device, anyway), but left it connected in its original spot - next to the panel (similar distance - about 1 foot) as the XTB-IIR is from my panel.  While waiting for delivery (which was FAST), I had prepared by installing a dedicated breaker for the XTB-IIR, and a dedicated junction box to connect the new coupler/repeater.  I also plugged my V572A into the XTB-IIR's TW523 port.  It took 10 minutes because of that preparation - and I was going slow/carefully!

Results:

1) Every device plays perfectly together!  And I have about 20 X10 switches/modules accumulated over the years.

2) Signal level due to the XTB-IIR is absolutely shocking - pun intended! (**more on signal later**)

3) I already had a fairly "X10 compatible" house.  Many years ago, I had installed two large 15A filters with powerbars  in the two most concentrated A/V zones in the house, and three 5A filters on the three computer/laptop areas, as well as a dryer-type phase coupler.  I've been using the technology since about 2002 or so - but had let-it-ride for many years and had begun to see reliability/degradation in some outlets.  When My PSC05 (used with V572A) failed over the Xmas break, I did some online research and discovered Jeff's many XTB solutions - the write-ups sold me.

**Signal Level**

I cannot find an outlet in my entire (2500 sq ft - built in the early '90's) house without incredible X10 signal!  Since I had started X10 many years ago,  I had an old/original TesterLinc/1132B (Smarthome) for signal testing.  After the install, I took it around my house looking to see what Jeff's "Phaser-set-to-Kill" had accomplished.  I was in for a huge surprise. 

The highest signal quality (some obscure number system devised by the TesterLinc folks) that I had ever seen in my home on TesterLinc was 88, but most often it was in the low to mid 70's.  BUT here's where it gets interesting.  The TesterLinc was never designed to take the shot-in-the-head that Jeff's box delivers!  It was designed with "100" as the absolute peak level that X10 could "possibly" be measured.....or so they thought.  To the old TesterLinc's credit, it still managed to designate a TesterLinc quality number (except now, from a low of 128 to a high of 139!), but it no longer could decode the X10 address - instead every code started with BSC (bad start code). 

But that wasn't true!  Every X10 address throughout my home was perfect (but apparently "too loud" for the old TesterLinc).  To be sure, I augmented my outlet testing with  and old Smarthome SHL2000 and a night light (a device I had found to be useless in my home, for lack of reliability) - and it worked perfectly everywhere.  Amazing!

Performance throughout the house is 100%, I'm sure.  The tests were performed while my wife was at work; so I could crawl around and check even the most hidden of the outlets and behind some switches without the inevitable eye-rolling that would occur if she were present.  I only gave up on testing three outlets because I'd be moving a queen size bed, a china cabinet, and a bookcase by myself.  I think I'll take it on faith that those are 100% also!

The rest of yesterday (wife away) was spent removing and old Boosterlinc; the passive coupler; exension cords behind couches (which were there due to the nearby outlets being unreliable); loading fresh batteries in 10 motion sensors which are now working at the speed of light; and installing a sensor and WS13A in the pantry so open door=light (that light switch location was dead to the old system).

I also spent time on my Smarthome Manager program/upload before nightfall; editing out dimming delays (eg. pauses) that were there to ensure dimming completion to desired levels (which was an issue).....they are simply not needed any more!

My compliments Jeff - you have built a box that exceeded my expectations 10 fold.  Since X10 has become a little bit abandoned due to the noise caused by modern devices impacting legacy systems; I'll have a cheap source (eBay) for any additions I choose to make.  Personally I'm sticking with X10!  Its a win-win.

oldbejuanyaknowme

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: New XTB-IIR Install - Testerlinc and Rebirth of X10 capability!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 09:17:32 PM »

I am old to X10 (1970s) but new to all this stuff in your post. Other than the booster you mentioned, I don't know what any of that stuff is. My house is 3600 SF and I am having more and more problems with signal interference. Is "The Box" you mention in this posting something I can just purchase (from "Jeff") and install myself or do I need to program something (outside my Wheelhouse)? Thank you and I hope I didn't reply in the wrong place or manner. John

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:12:00 PM »

I am old to X10 (1970s) but new to all this stuff in your post. Other than the booster you mentioned, I don't know what any of that stuff is. My house is 3600 SF and I am having more and more problems with signal interference. Is "The Box" you mention in this posting something I can just purchase (from "Jeff") and install myself or do I need to program something (outside my Wheelhouse)? Thank you and I hope I didn't reply in the wrong place or manner. John

You can buy a fully assembled XTB-IIR from Jeff at http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm but do it soon because he only has a handful left and he's not planning on making any more.  I've been a customer, fan and ardent supporter of Jeff's products for years and highly recommend them.  The XTB-IIR requires no programming although there are some programmable options (using X10 codes) if needed.  The only thing you need to add is a 3 conductor wire to connect it to a pair of breakers or you can add a plug for a 220 volt outlet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:15:20 PM by brobin »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 06:42:50 AM »

I have an XTB-IIR and can say it is a very good piece of equipment.
I also have their XTBM X10 signal meter.

In my home my lowest X10 reading is around 1 volt on a unfiltered known signal sucker. That would have needed an X10 filter if I did not have an XTB-IIR.

My home is a mix of X10 and Insteon. The XTB-IIR is the only repeater I have seen that respects Insteon and does not see the tail end of its messages as a bogus X10 message and corrupt it.

All the needed information is on the link posted. I believe some have had a 220Volt outlet mounted close to the breaker box. So the XTB-IIR can be plugged into it and not directly connected inside the breaker box.

They also have a small program you can download to set the parameters. It uses a CM15A to access the power lines. If you are using a CM15A. You can also use an X10 controller as mentioned in an earlier post.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:51:19 AM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »

Thank you all for your continued support.

There are now fewer than two dozen left, split between the standard unit and the "+" version.  A couple of refurbished units are also available.

The plug-in XTBR will remain available for the foreseeable future, but it must be paired with a good tuned circuit passive coupler like the X10 XPCP.

Regarding the website, I've received numerous emails that it is dated and not compatible with cellphones or Google.  It is being downsized and rebuilt with Wordpress, which is offered by our host.  Except for the XTB-523 that is still available in kit form, assembly notes and supporting documentation will no longer be directly available on the product pages.  I do plan to include a documentation page to still access that information, but it may be a good idea to grab anything you may want while it is still there.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

AMXoldhack

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 10:36:21 PM »

Wish I had installed one years ago. I put the newer version, XTBR and the results are outstanding :)%

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.