Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ground up system for security and Home Automation  (Read 1678 times)

anthonykitmcinnis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ground up system for security and Home Automation
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »

I need an open and flexible security system that will also allow me to use HA software (Homeseer and other software) to perform other tasks such as video, etc.

My situation is slightly complicated because:
1. I will be moving to a different home (may be new or existing) with 24 months. 
2. My existing condo is 90 years old. Some of the (2800 sq ft) wiring is original.

I have 2 first questions.

Is X10 reliable for security ? I read somewhere that someone can said an RF signal to disarm or control your system.

Will boosters, repeaters, filters allow me to overcome problems that will present themselves due to the old wiring ?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Ground up system for security and Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »

I need an open and flexible security system that will also allow me to use HA software (Homeseer and other software) to perform other tasks such as video, etc.

I have 2 first questions.

Is X10 reliable for security ? I read somewhere that someone can said an RF signal to disarm or control your system.

Generally speaking.... X10 is not secure. With the exception of the security alarms which are registered with the control panel and can not be easily breached.

Will boosters, repeaters, filters allow me to overcome problems that will present themselves due to the old wiring ?

Yes.... in almost every case. I actually can not recall any user who could not overcome wiring/interference problems. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.