Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another option for those who want to use Voice Control  (Read 8262 times)

aussie mate

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Another option for those who want to use Voice Control
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »

I just found this VR software called VoxCommando that can be used as alternative to BVC.

it may not be quite as user friendly as BVC but it works with x10, insteon, Homeseer, Zwave Vera plus other HA systems.
it has a plugin for x10 and will run on window 7 PC's

so far in testing I have found it 98% accurate using my open air microphone system which is pretty good.
It also allows for VR with itunes & other media players.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Another option for those who want to use Voice Control
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »

I just found this VR software called VoxCommando that can be used as alternative to BVC.

VoxCommando looks very interesting. Seems like the creator has integrated just about any and everything imaginable into VoxCommando. And.... at the $30 price tag too.

I've been using old XP door-stop dust-collectors for Home Automation PC's. But I would assume that this would require something a bit newer/faster you mention it runs on 7..... and maybe an 8 or 8.1 OS? Is that correct or does it require 7... only? What are your experiences?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:38:37 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »

I've been using old XP door-stop dust-collectors for Home Automation PC's. But I would assume that this would require something a bit newer/faster you mention it runs on 7.....
Over the years I've bought several off-lease refurb PCs and laptops for my own use and for others. I buy from TigerDirect and have never had an issue. They usually come with a valid copy of Windows - my most recent purchases were a laptop for a neice (Windows 7 Home Premium) and a PC for myself (64-bit Windows 7 Professional). The prices are attractive - the laptop was $210; the PC $130.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

aussie mate

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »

Dave - it appears to support Xp, Windows 7 & 8. as far as processing speed & power - it does not appear to be any more than BVC is.
The main advantage is that Windows 7 has a much better VR engine so it provides more accurate matching of words.

As you mentioned - the price tag is pretty good too.

It also has many features besides just turning the lights on, ie being able to go and obtain information from sites such as news, weather sites and then reading it back to you or playing your favorite music or internet radio station.
I can see some real potential here.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »

It says it will NOT work on XP.  Vista or higher on their website.  Just to let you know.

:-\
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »

...The main advantage is that Windows 7 has a much better VR engine so it provides more accurate matching of words.....
It also has many features besides just turning the lights on, ie being able to go and obtain information from sites such as news, weather sites and then reading it back to you....

Yes.... it appears to be very comprehensive. If it was anyone other than you (and a handful of others) aussie mate reporting on it... I would have found all the features to be hard to believe. But we have known each other via these forums for a long time. I trust your opinion of this software. And.... it does seem impressive. I like the idea of a 40 command trial... with continued restarting.

I've been trying to wait for the new Internet WiFi X10 module to be released.... as well as the reinstatement of X10 software servers.... before rebuilding/recreating my HA setup. Looks like I may need to hunt down a newer HA PC while I wait. Thanks again for sharing aussie mate! Keep us informed [if you will] on this new software.   

aussie mate

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:38 AM »

Dave, like you I love the idea of being able to use HA technology and especially VR.
I thought BVC was the bee's knees but sadly it hasn't had any development in a long time.
when I ungraded my PC to Windows 7 - I had to stop using it for VR.
I hunted around for other choices but couldnt find anything reasonable priced.

while it is still early days with VocCommando - it does appear to be able to do anything the BVC could do plus more.
One thing they are working on is getting it to work like Siri.. you can ask it a question and it goes off and finds the answer..
that would be a cool thing to show visitors...lol

The other move I made was to using a Insteon Hub. As the HUB still supports x10 - it allowed me to transition slowly from x10 modules to Insteon.
The insteon modules will work with both x10 and Insteon commands and I have found it has made my HA system very reliable and stable.
I have around 90% of the lights automated and sensors in almost every room.
x10 and Insteon seem to complement each other.

aussie mate

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 04:32:10 AM »

Sorry - as pointed out by Hawk1 - it is not supported on XP or Vista.  My mistake.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »

VoxCommando requires Windows Vista or later to run. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported.

;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »

.... I thought BVC was the bee's knees but sadly it hasn't had any development in a long time. ....when I ungraded my PC to Windows 7 - I had to stop using it for VR.

BVC  is still the bee knees.... and was YEARS ahead of it's time in both concept and the use of available technology. Bill did a great job on a project that advanced the technology..... and consumed massive amounts of his time. Bill helped us all take one giant step closer to Star Trek-like automation.

But despite everyone's best efforts Home Automation has remained somewhat a niche market. I do not blame Bill for halting his efforts to devote time to family and his day-job.

One thing they are working on is getting [VoxCommando]  to work like Siri.. you can ask it a question and it goes off and finds the answer.. that would be a cool thing to show visitors...lol

I have an iPhone.... and I use Siri all the time. I love that technology!!!! Blending these mobile technologies with Internet connected home based technologies and functions.... is an awesome challenge. I don't have the answers... but VoxCommando seems to have a good idea on how proceed.

I have tried apps that allowed me to connect to my HA PC via a tablet... for both remote manual control as well as using the tablet as a microphone. I currently use X10 Commander on my iPhone. I switched my camera setup to a DVR that is viewable via my phone as well. I love the home/phone/human connection.

The other move I made was to using a Insteon Hub. As the HUB still supports x10 - it allowed me to transition slowly from x10 modules to Insteon.

I am have been holding out.... waiting for X10 to develop/market their upcoming X10 Internet/WiFi module. As well as re-introduce/market the X10 software... that originally started it all. Insteon has a great hub that I have considered buying... but the Insteon technology itself has number-use limitations that prevents me to switching entirely to Insteon. But technology doesn't stand still. Home Automation isn't a weekend project that can be constructed and then forgotten. Although our setups can often run as built... for years and years..... keeping up with the latest advancements is continuous. 

You [aussie mate] have done great work... and continue to advance your setup as well as help the rest of us keep up. Thank You!.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:02:05 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »

VoxCommando requires Windows Vista or later to run. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported. ;)

I just realized.... that my old back-up laptop is a vista that I also installed AHP and BVC on (only to make forum answer-research easier)...... 

jitterjames

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »

Hi guys.  Jitterjames from VoxCommando here.  Greetings to all.

Just thought I would whet your appetites a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCRJZKFW34

There is a wiki page for the X10 plugin but it is very minimal.  I think if you are familiar with X10 it should be easy enough to use but I'd like to add some more info and maybe some sample commands to it:

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Plugin_X10

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »

Hi guys.  Jitterjames from VoxCommando here.  Greetings to all.

Welcome to the X10 forums! I haven't tried VoxCommando yet... but I am impressed with what I am reading. I like your wiki as well. Thank you for joining in and posting!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.