Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why AHP software free in europe and just buy link for download here  (Read 7190 times)

wizard310

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I am completely new here, and don't know if I'm doing this right.  Why do the people in Europe get the AHP software for free and all we get is the download link when we buy the CM15A. I think that we should have the right to the full program. We all wouldn't be in the Mess where in now if we got the program.
   Please excuse me if I'm doing this the wrong way. I am a 67 year old person that has been using the AHP software for a long time, and had to do a reinstall. And was s--t out of luck when I wanted to reinstall the software.
   I have never used a forum before, but was desperate And, well here I am.
Be nice when replying to me

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Why AHP software free in europe and just buy link for download here
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »

That was a decision made by the X10 Wireless Technologies Inc. That is now bankrupt.
The new company that took over is trying to get the old X10 servers back running is thinking about how they are going to handle software.
You can download the European version and it will run on your CM15A and Tuicemen has made a program to convert it to the US modules and locations.
Details here.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=652.0

wizard310

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »

I did download the European version and ran the conversion Tuicemen put up and it works fine. Was searching every where till then. I don't like having the register nag screen popping up every time I open the program. I just think that I purchased the right to the program and should be able to download the Full program. I don't use anything but the timers so my home looks lived in when am away.
   I do a fresh reinstall about once a year, and should have the Program available in my backup programs, that I keep  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:01:27 PM by wizard310 »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

I think most of us feel the same way.  I can understand their wanting to keep control of the plug-ins to recover their development costs, but AHP itself is only useful on the CM11A or CM15A.  Without purchasing one of those units, AHP is pretty much useless.

The company that made the decision no longer exists, and we should support the new company that is trying to restore the servers.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:03 PM »

In my communications with the new owner he has indicated that they plan to open up the North American version the same as the European version.
The issue is the servers which they had to hastily remove.
These were so out of date that parts were difficult to find that coupled with a software security has made recouping the info difficult.
Also the code for AHP and plugins were on these not just the registration info. ::) :'
Good news is they are making progress.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »

I think it is easy for many of us to forget just how far ahead of the times X10 once was.

Back in the mid-90's I purchased two of the early Internet Cameras. Seems hard to believe now.... that I also had to "rent" sever time so as to make a audio/video connection.

X10 entered into the Internet enabled technology early.... and I would imagine... setup ways of doing things that they never reexamined. Even now... setting up devices or cameras to be viewed and/or controlled remotely over the Internet still requires IP forwarding (ether a paid or free service). At least X10 made a semi complex setup easy enough that anyone could use it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:16:13 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »

X10 entered into the Internet enabled technology early.... and I would imagine... setup ways of doing things that they never reexamined. 
From what I gathered talking to past employees it was suggested but they didn't wish the expense ::) :' :(

At least X10 made a semi complex setup easy enough that anyone could use it.
Well not anyone but most, if they couldn't figure it out on their own were able to find help freely here or else where!
Europe has always done things different (X10 business wise) and has some cool X10 things available that aren't available here.
Hopefully this will change too.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:43:32 AM »

..... if they couldn't figure it out on their own were able to find help freely here or else where!
Europe has always done things different (X10 business wise) and has some cool X10 things available that aren't available here.
Hopefully this will change too.

Generally people came to the forums.... and got the help they needed from you, Brian H, Charles Sullivan (RIP), steven r, Puck, and many, many others. Thankfully... some things don't change so much.

But home automation will always be high-technology. I hope the new management takes a forward looking attitude towards software ideas and devices.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:25:04 AM »

But home automation will always be high-technology. I hope the new management takes a forward looking attitude towards software ideas and devices.
Speaking with the new owner this seems to be the case.
Change just never happens quick enough when you want it. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »

...and sometimes change happens too quickly (even when you think you want it).

Sigh. RIP XP
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »

Sigh. RIP XP

That's why I did clean installs on new hard drives in all my PCs a couple of weeks ago, including all updates to that point.  Then I disabled the auto update in case Microsoft tried to brick it in the last days.  Little by little I'm reinstalling all the applications.

I do have one PC that will boot either XP Pro or Win 7 on twin hard drives.  Some of my applications will not run on Win 7.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »

One of the recent XP updates that was added to my computer. Was {KB2934207} Windows XP End of Support Notification.
April 08,2014 maybe an interesting day.  ::)
Can't be that critical as they said it can be removed.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »

...and sometimes change happens too quickly (even when you think you want it).

Sigh. RIP XP

I've been waiting for the new X10 device and AHP suite to become available. Then the wife gets a new Windows 8 and her old 7 becomes the new Home Automation PC. Have even been thinking of switching to Vox Commando that I read about here

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »

Well Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows XP computer. Now gives a nag screen pop up message about support about to end.
Though if you read the information link. It indicates no updates to the program will be avilable but the signature files will be updated until 07/14/15.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.