Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Support Question  (Read 4338 times)

dghattierdc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Support Question
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »

you seem to know something about this company. I cant get any response from their tech support on a simple issue, the camera (airsight) wont power on., known good power supply does a circular motion thing and then dies.
Frankly I would not recommend anyone deal with x10 due to no customer service. I used to be an IBM customer engineer before moving into another field and am aware of what good service should be. This isn't it.
Donald G Hattier DC
Millville DE

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Support Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »

you seem to know something about this company. I cant get any response from their tech support on a simple issue, the camera (airsight) wont power on., known good power supply does a circular motion thing and then dies.
Frankly I would not recommend anyone deal with x10 due to no customer service. I used to be an IBM customer engineer before moving into another field and am aware of what good service should be. This isn't it.
Donald G Hattier DC
Millville DE

I split and moved your post.
Currently the new company which took over from X10 WTI has no info on the old AIR Sight cameras or inventory.
Also the old company was unable to share any purchase records with the new company due to privacy laws.
Customer service phone centers are relatively new as well.
The Plans are to reintroduce the Air sight cameras. However these are to be manufactured by a different company.

You might try a hard factory reset of the camera.
there may also be some info in the X10 wiki which is now back online although a lot of the images are unavailable as not all servers are back online:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/IP_Cameras

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:31:37 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

I used to be an IBM customer engineer before moving into another field and am aware of what good service should be. This isn't it.

I'll bet IBM has a bit more margin on their sales to cover customer service.  What would X10 devices cost to provide the same level of customer service?  I sometimes spend hours answering emails from a customer.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:15:12 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:49 PM »

I sometimes spend hours answering emails from a customer.

Sorry about that - I tend to get a little "wordy" with my questions. ;)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »

I used to be an IBM customer engineer before moving into another field and am aware of what good service should be. This isn't it.

As a former IBM employee myself, and customer of IBM brand equipment, I can tell you that IBM treats individual customers like crap.

For example, the warranty on my IBM home computer specifically said that I can obtain service at any IBM Service Center.   When I had to actually try to get service, the Service Center flatly refused, and sent me packing.    

Being an IBM employee, I was able to eventually find out that IBM's PC division never contracted with IBM's Service division to provide warranty repairs.  

However, that doesn't change what was said in the written warranty and that didn't change how IBM treated an IBM customer (me) who was simply trying to get warranty service.

Of course, IBM treated business customers, who purchased millions of dollars of equipment a year, much better.  But that's not the little guy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:50:23 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »

Customer Support Script (based on my experience of the majority of customer 'support' centres)
To be read in the style of Leonard Cohen with absolutely no emotion or inflection of any kind.
The answer to each question should be ignored where possible, unless the script indicates that you should be paying attention.
Speeling miss steaks, or internashunal spellung should be used as frequently as possible, but no more off ten than mispronunciation.

Hello, my name is {common name that does not realistically match the thick accent you are having trouble understanding}, how can I make your whole week worse than it was before you tracked down this obscure customer support number?
What was the purchase date of your {insert product description here}?
Do you have your invoice number to hand?
Do you recall your order number?
What is your confirmation number?
Please write down case # 154278acQd90765lkt-7734+kqcxzsda in case we get disconnected - this number will not mean anything to anyone, even if you do call back, but I get paid by the minute of phone time so it's vital I keep you connected for as long as possible.
What is the model number?
What is the serial number?
What is the revision number?
What is the manufacturing date code?
What is the number immediately beneath the serial number and just to the right of the date code, but not as far right as the revision number and just above the model number? Yes, the one in grey ink on a grey background that is so small you'll probably need an electron-microscope to even see that it exists.
What do you mean? This device is mounted outside 30 feet up in the air and you can't reach it? What is this "6 feet of snow on the ground" of which you speak? I just checked outside and all we have is dust and elephant sh*t. Actually, I don't even know what snow is; is it some kind of new word for elephant sh*t?
What is the problem with your device? Allow me to repeat that back to you incorrectly 3 times merely to increase your frustration levels.
What obscure random act of violence did your device undergo immediately prior to this alleged problem?
Have you checked the batteries? I'm sorry, I didn't know that device doesn't take batteries.
Have you checked the power supply?
Have you tried a new power supply?
Have you tried another new power supply?
Are you sure the power supply is correct for your region?
Have you tried another device of the exact same specification in the same configuration as your allegedly failed device?
What do you mean, you don't have two spare power supplies and a spare device? What kind of fool are you?
Do you know anyone you can borrow power supplies and devices from?
Have you checked the remote?
Have you checked the remote with brand-new, known-good batteries correctly installed in the remote?
Have you tried standing on one leg on the third rung of a broken ladder with a westerly wind blowing at least 3 but not more than 8 knots at a range between 3 feet and 2.8 meters with the remote held upsidedown in your left hand held against the right side of your nose and working the buttons with your right thumb?
Have you tried a spare remote?
Can you borrow a spare remote from a friend/colleague/acquaintance/stranger/random-passerby?
What do you mean, the device does not have a remote?
Have you tested the sprongle flange on the exterior casing of the widgetfangle just above the doobrie port? You do have a diagnostic test meter calibrated to .0001 microscorans, don't you?
You do realise that this item only has a 90 day warranty that has long since expired?
Did you take out an extended warranty?
What is your extended warranty number?
Did you realise that your extended warranty has expired?
Have you tried a soft reboot? No, I don't have the directions on this obsolete model.
Have you tried a hard reboot? No, I don't have the directions on this obsolete model.
Have you tried a factory reset? No, I don't have the directions on this obsolete model.
Have you downloaded and installed the latest software? No, I don't have the directions on this obsolete model.
Have you downloaded and installed the latest firmware? No, I don't have the directions on this obsolete model.
Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers? No, I don't have the directions on this obsolete model.
Have you rebooted your router?
Factory reset?
Have you rebooted your computer?
Factory reset?
Re-installed the operating system?
Disabled the firewall?
Disabled your virus protection?
Have you checked the toaster? Microwave? Dishwasher? Other random electrical device that has no bearing on the device you're having trouble with?
What colour socks are you wearing?
Shoe size in European?
Shirt collar size in metric?
Dog's name?
Yes, I know these questions have nothing to do with your technical problem, but I'm interested in these things and as I said earlier I get paid by the minute.
Would you like the address of the nearest service centre so you can ship your device there for testing. Shipping is at your expense, be sure to include a cheque for $xx.xx to cover testing and return shipping (non-refundable).
No, the service centre does not accept walk-ins (it's a PO box in Outer Mongolia).
No, the service centre does not guarantee to get your device working.
No, the service centre cannot return your device within 3 months as they have a huge backlog.
Yes, the service centre will lose your product when you did not use tracked shipping.
Yes, the service centre will lose your device when you did use tracked shipping, but the fine print says they take no responsibility for loss or theft.
No, the service cntre is not authorised to send you a replacement unit in case yours is beyond help? What part of obsolete is it that are not understanding?
Yes, I do have an accent because I'm based outside of the US on minimum wage (2 bowls of rice per day and all the rancid water I can drink).
No, there is no supervisor on this shift.
Did you really expect such a low-priced device to last much beyond the standard warranty period?
When you purchased this low-cost, rebadged, off-brand product from a dealer with a juvenile website did you really expect to get quality support xx months down the line?
Yes, I can check that for you; please bear with me while I put you on hold.
[bad hold music for 7 minutes 22 seconds]
CLICK

This script, naturally, is not followed by the current X-10 tech support guys; who I'm sure do a much better job than "TaiwanKong Industries, Inc, Co, (China and Malaysia) Ltd."

This post was designed purely for my own amusement, and those select few known to appreciate my particular sense of humour; you know who you are ;)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »

Oops, I forgot to precede this with the Depends warning. My bad  :'
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.