Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 2-wire dimmer + led bulb = dangerous ?  (Read 2912 times)

anarchoi

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 2-wire dimmer + led bulb = dangerous ?
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »

ive been using a 2-wire X10 dimmer switch for years with an incadescent bulb and everything has been working fine... Except that incadescent sucks and costs a lot of money so i want to replace it with a better bulb.

I know the compact fluorescent lights arent working with this switch (they constantly blink) but what about LED Bulbs ?

I bought a Philips 425264 LED Bulb and i'm using it with the X10 Dimmer... My only question is : is there any danger ? Fire risk ?

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: x10 2-wire dimmer + led bulb = dangerous ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »

I have used DIMMABLE LED bulbs (60 watt equivalent or higher) with 2-wire dimmers and have had no issues - except I did notice one of my bulbs (can't recall mfr.) seemed to occasionally pulse a tiny bit at maximum output - but that goes away if I dim that particular bulb just slightly.  They don't ramp down very well below about 35-40% or so.

I think LED bulbs rated less that 40 watts equivalent might be more troublesome.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »

I bought a Philips 425264 LED Bulb and i'm using it with the X10 Dimmer... My only question is : is there any danger ? Fire risk ?

The two wire switch states on box and on switch body that it is to be used with incandescent bulbs ONLY. Having said that, I have been running CFL and LED bulbs with WS467 switches for years, by putting an incandescent night light in the circuit. However, even with the night light, the power to the bulb will have distortion from the triac component in the switch, so is important to use only dimmable LED bulbs, as the Phillips 425264 is.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »

Phillips seems to be one of the more compatible LED bulbs. That I have seen reported in a few automation forums. With X10, Insteon and ZWave to name a few.
Can you find the Philips model number on the bulb. I may actually have one to test with. One thing I find with Philips bulbs is there are more than one number on the same bulb and trying to find information on them is sometimes a challenge. UPC; Model; Order Code  ???

If the bulb is not acting strange and the X10 two wire switch is working OK {I have a few different model bulbs where the local button worked fine but the X10 power line signals didn't work}. You are probably safe to use it. Just observe it for a time for possible indications of a problem.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:16:40 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.