Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creating a 3-way switch  (Read 5816 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Creating a 3-way switch
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »

I think the OP wants to essentially link 2 lights into a 3-way configuration.  So, light A and light B are not wired together but he wants to press a button at light A to control both A and B and vice versa.  In that case, the only solution I'm aware of is a switch that is also a transmitter.

Ah, I misunderstood that when I read his post.  Leviton made X10 switches that were also transmitters.  We have several here, but I think they are now out of production and are hard to find.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

ChrisGTE

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

Bkenodi is correct, I am looking to link two independent switches into a “3-way switch”.

I ordered a pair of INSTEON 2477S SwitchLinc and am hoping to get them installed in the next couple weeks. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the suggestions and the guidance.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »

Why can't you use a macro with x10? I use one for garage door. When the door opens it turns on somes lights including a string of color LEDs. So when  switch is toggled it will trigger a macro and that will control what ever you want. You, of course, will need some sort of a controller like CM15A. I use appliance module to control LEDs. This setup has been working for few years and I still, rarely though, get a email from X10 server when the door opens or shuts.

Or did I miss some thing?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »

Your setup works differently because as I recall you have a Universal Module or some other kind of switch.  In the OP's case, he wants to control 2 different light circuits that are independent as though they are connected.  The correct way to do this is to get 2 switches that transmit when they toggle (Togglelinc/Switchlinc/etc) and set them to the same house/unit code.  This will effectively turn them into a 3-way.  There's no reason to over complicate by adding a universal module + CM15 (or other controller) + macros + AHP.  In this case, it can be very easily done with the correct hardware.   >!

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 03:42:55 AM »

bkenobi, you do have a very good memory.
I do use universal module for lower voltage to operate the grage door opener along with appliance module for safety. But the triggering is done with door/window sensor, which could, in ChrisGTE case, be a switch. I was assuming that ChrisGTE had AHP and cm15 and macro plugin. >!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »

It's possible he does, I just don't know it for a fact.   ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.