Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP source code  (Read 2641 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
AHP source code
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »

Since X10 is looking at opening up AHP so no license would be required, I was curious if they might be opening up the source at all?  If their goal is to sell more product and the software is not what they will be selling, then they might as well make it easier for 3rd party developers to use the controllers.

I'm primarily thinking about the CM15A and writing timers, but I know there are other controllers with memory and other things that can be written/executed from the interface.  It would be nice if we could use the memory from the controller with our own code since AHP is somewhat dated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: AHP source code
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »

I think they most likely will open the source code however until they can get AHP compiled they don't know if they have all the code.
X10 WTI had code for AHP spread over several servers no server found working had the complete code. B:(
The fact that AHP was created using a obsolete version of C++ (visual 2002) which can't be updated successfully doesn't help.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »

I understand that logic.  However, I'm not suggesting that 3rd party software would simply tweak and recompile AHP.  I was thinking that they might look through the code and grab the sections of importance.  For example, CM15A has no documentation on transfer protocol.  If there's source code that performs that transfer, we'd at least be able to duplicate those sections.  Of course, it's possible the memory stuff is all convoluted and understanding what was done might be impossible.

New X10 should focus on their business goals to be successful, obviously.  I was just thinking opening the source might be something quick for them to do in the interim while compiling is not possible.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »

What might help 3rd party developers is to fully define the CM15A protocol like was done with the CM11A.  That information must be available somewhere.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »

What might help 3rd party developers is to fully define the CM15A protocol like was done with the CM11A.  That information must be available somewhere.
+1
For most programmers, the communication protocol is all that's needed. With it, they can create interfaces in their preferred language and for their preferred platform. I doubt there's much to be learned from X-10 source.

Given all the IoT activity, I suspect the new X10 has a very short window of opportunity.
They should concentrate on hardware and not squander the opportunity by going down the X10 programming rabbit-hole. Let interested users do the programming as have most of the IoT players.

Of course, this assumes (a very big assumption) they do have source for all of the firmware for the Cypress chips used in the CM15A, CM19A,...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:29:10 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.