Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PSC01 Off Command & WS13A/XPS3  (Read 1840 times)

boblink

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PSC01 Off Command & WS13A/XPS3
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »

First time on this forum...  I have a barn located about 300 ft from my home with its own electric service.  There's a CAT5 line running between them, so I envisioned using the PSC01 triggered by a PUM01 located at the house.  The barn has florescent lighting, so I installed a WS13A switch in 3-way arrangement with WS14A.  The PSC01 and WS13A are set to the same home and unit code.  On contact closure, the PSC01 activates the WS13A as expected.  But, the switch does not respond to the PSC01 off command or by pressing the PSC01 "all units off" button.  I verified that plug in appliance and lamp modules do.  Is there a solution or mod?  I assume that the WS13A and XPS3 function the same. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PSC01 Off Command & WS13A/XPS3
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:59:06 AM »

The PSC01 is set to Input B Dry Contact Closure and Output Mode 3?
The PUM01 is set to Relay Only or Relay/Sounder?
Cat5 is connecting the PUM01 Output to the PSC01 Input? Are you using one twisted pair for the connections or more then one wire for each terminal?

If you have the sounder enabled on the PUM01. Does it go On and Off when sent the X10 commands?

Disconnect the Cat5 from the PSC01 end. If you connect and disconnect a piece of wire across its Input Terminals of the PSC01. Does the WS13A function as expected? If it does then there maybe some noise on the Cat5 wire causing unexpected results.

If it does not. It maybe possible the Fluorescent light is making so much power line noise the PSC01's power line commands are not turning it Off but can turn it On when there is no noise from it. Is there any way you can temporarily wire a incandescent bulb to it and see if it then works as expected? Since the Off button on the PSC01 also does not turn the WS13A Off.  I would be leaning towards the lights ballasts if electronic. Making noise or having a noise capacitor on its AC Input killing the PSC01's power line commands.

WS13 is the X10 Version of the switch. The XPS3 is the X10Pro version of the switch.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/WS13A
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:12:46 AM by Brian H »

boblink

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

Hello Brian- A big thank you for the troubleshooting guide.  Your suspicion regarding florescent fixture noise seems spot on!  As it turns out there are also incandescent fixtures wired to the box as a separate line.  So, it was easy to try your experiment and verify the problem.  I found the XPNR and XPF filters.  The XPNR will fit in the switch box.  But, I should be able to install the XPF in the first florescent fixture.  Do you have any recommendations?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »

I don't have any experience with the XPNR. From what I read in the sales page. It is tuned to the X10 power line frequency of 120KHz and absorbs noise above and below the 120KHz. I would suspect if the noise was close to 120KHz it may not be effective.
The XPF is a big filter but works very well and would also keep 120KHz noise or a signal sucking electronic ballast from getting back to the WS13A.

boblink

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »

Thanks again.  I ordered an XPF and will let you know how it works.  The XPNR product note states that it's a "second line" filter, to be used after first trying an XPF, I guess to increase attenuation if the latter doesn't solve the problem.  Fingers crossed...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.