Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 internet interface for remote control  (Read 6277 times)

pcride

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 internet interface for remote control
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »

I have searched and can't really find the answer and I am sure it's been asked a million times. I have a security system that also can use X10, it's the Simon 3 XT by GE. I don't have a phone line service and want to be notified or control the X10 modules through the internet.

I did see a USB interface available on X10.com but it doesn't come with software.
Not even sure there is software I can control it with, that is available.

At the minimum I can get a few lamp controllers and the Simon remote control, but would really like it to interface with the internet or app.

I read about "myhomeOnline" and the x10 server is limited... Is that a company no longer providing service? Do I run my own web server ?
Please advise on what I need here.

pcride

Re: X10 internet interface for remote control
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »

So as I learn more X10 commander App is available but its a Client Server app, you must run your computer at all times then use your phone to connect to it. This wouldn't really work for me all the time and I have never had good luck with multiple computers behind a router trying to connect to one of them. I found http://www.marmitek.com/en/product-details/x-10/x-10-home-automation/transceivers/tip10rf.php which plugs directly into the router but it seems that its only available in the UK. I am in the US.

Just trying to figure out what options I have.

Also I was thinking... If I hook the x10 devices into the security system and control them with the remote, wondering how it would work if I have another device, connected into the X10 transceiver. I probably can't interface a transceiver and the security system into the X10 modules could I?

I appreciate the feedback and response.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:26:22 AM »

Did your Simon system come with the X10 Interface power supply? The installation manual shows a standard or X10 interface power supply.
That power supply would allow the Simon to send X10 commands on the power line to control modules. I have not studied the Simon manual enough to see if the console can also receive X10 power line commands with the interface.

The new owners of X10 are working on a WiFi module.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28628.0
Though for now it is in development.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:29:26 AM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »

I had a Simon security console in my last home.  It was X10 compatible IF a X10 interface was installed.  At the time of installation, the tech made it sound like everything was proprietary and had to be purchased through him, but he didn't have the module and the price was steep anyway.  I believe that if you can get a compatible adapter, you can use your console in some limited ways to control X10, but it's not going to be a full X10 system.  I think the system can flash lights, turn on sirens, etc.

In my opinion, if you want to control things over the internet, the Simon is not necessarily something that would be involved in the discussion.  What you need is a controller that can connect to the internet and interface with the mains to send (and possibly receive PLC).  Currently, the MyHomeOnline plugin for AHP will not work since the X10 server is not available.  As Brian H stated, the new owners of X10 have a WiFi module that is in development that is likely exactly what you need.  I do not know what kind of software will be included with that to make it work on the internet (WiFi is local to your residence obviously).

Alternately, you could opt for a software that will interface with a X10 to PC controller that has internet connectivity.  I don't know all the options as I've never connected over the internet (only my local network).  I know that the software I'm currently using (HomeGenie) has the capability listed, but so do many others.  Someone else might be able to provide a better suggestion if you want to go that route.

pcride

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »

Thanks All. Yes I ordered the X10 power adaptor which sends the signal to control x10. I can turn on lights with the security panel, or key chain. I recently purchased a remote chime but can't get it to work when doors and windows are open.

Didn't seem there was any solution for the internet interface.

Thanks again.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.