Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you determine a DVR to work with the X10 wireless cameras  (Read 37273 times)

humble

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have purchased a few of the X10 air sight cameras that can be wired or wireless.  I want to purchase a DVR to record on a week long loop.  Any suggestions on brand and what to look for?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: How do you determine a DVR to work with the X10 wireless cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »

First question is, how many cameras do you need to record? You will need a security DVR that has as many inputs or channels as you want to record. DVRs made to record television programming can only record one video feed at a time, so you would need an additional switcher capable of detecting changes in a scene (movement) to use a single input machine with multiple cameras.

You don't say which X10 cameras you have, but I don't remember any of them as being high definition, so a multiple input security DVR would not need to be hi def or have HDMI inputs. Standard NTSC or VGA video inputs for each camera would be sufficient. As I recall the pre IP X10 cameras used RCA connectors for video and audio. Most security DVRs use BNC connectors for video input, so you might need RCA to BNC adaptors. 

You could start by just searching for "security DVR" on eBay or Amazon.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How do you determine a DVR to work with the X10 wireless cameras
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »

The AirSight Cameras are all network connected cameras.
They do not have standard Composite or RF Video Output.
I believe you will need a network connected type Security DVR.

Do you need constant recording [1 week is a lot of data] or recording when motion is detected?

What model AirSight Cameras are you trying to use and how many?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.