Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are the real differences between CM11A and CM15A?  (Read 50946 times)

starkruzr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What are the real differences between CM11A and CM15A?
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »

There are two I know of that are obvious -- the CM11 uses serial whereas the CM15 uses USB, and the CM15 includes a transceiver whereas the CM11 does not.

But, if:
  • You don't plan to ever use Windows software to control your X10 network, and
  • You have, like, THREE other transceiver modules to use,

Is there really much of a functional difference between them?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What are the real differences between CM11A and CM15A?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »

The CM15A has both a RF receiver and transmitter in it. CM11A does not.
CM15A has a much larger internal memory to store downloaded programs.
CM11A is discontinued and I have only seen one independent dealer that bought a late production run of them.
When the CM11A is disconnected from AC power. It can't be accessed until its constant requests to reset its clock is done.
Active Home for the CM11A doesn't like any newer operating system than XP and that is spotty. If you are using another program maybe in Linux. Then things maybe different.
AHP for the CM15A, CM15K {TM751 with CM19A} has been updated to run on the CM11A but you have to get a registration number to not be nagged and have unreliable operation's.
The dealer that bought the last CM11A production run has made a deal with X10 to allow you to Purchase a registration number.

starkruzr

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »

So it sounds like if one has other transceivers (am I right in thinking that transmission happens between wireless X10 devices and any transceiver connected to the network, regardless if it is built into the computer interface module or not?), there is essentially no functional difference, if one plans to do all of one's automation on non-Windows software that will always be turned on.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »

The CM11A plus TM751 lack only an RF transmitter. AFAIK, the transmitter in the CM15A is used only for sending commands to X10 camera mounts (e.g. Ninja). If that is needed, there are simple ways to accomplish it. Differences in memory are not meaningful if you plan to have a computer running 24/7.

The CM11A communications protocol is published while that is not true for the CM15A.
The CM15A has a slight advantage in PLC level - about 6Vpp vs. 5Vpp for the CM11A. The CM11A output also tapers off during the 1ms window but this can be cured by changing resistor R12.
There is also a problem with the CM11A locking up under certain conditions. And, it can go berserk if it's RS232 cable is connected to the CM11A but not to anything on the other end.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

The Transceiver take X10 RF signals from things like Motion Sensors and Remotes. And send the commands on the power lines to modules and controllers. They do nothing with existing power line X10 signals.

One thing I forgot. The CM15A can do all sixteen House Codes and the sixteen Unit Codes in each House Code.
All the other X10 Transceivers like the TM751 and RR501 can do one House Code and the sixteen Unit Codes for that House Code.
You need one for each House Code you have using RF signals.

Some folks are using the CM11A with software that was never written with a CM15A controller in mind. So it is a viable controller in some cases.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »

What OS/software are you using? I see where a few people are running a CM11A using heyu on a Raspberry Pi. That, along with a TM751 modified to handle all housecodes could make for a very good, low cost system.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

...a TM751 modified to handle all housecodes
That turns out to be easier said than done with the newer versions of the TM751. Older versions used a through-hole PIC and it was easy to replace it with one programmed to handle all housecodes (I've used one for 10-12 years.) but the newer ones use an Elan EM78P153SN 14-pin surface mount chip and I cannot find a PIC or AVR with a matching pinout.

starkruzr

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »

What OS/software are you using? I see where a few people are running a CM11A using heyu on a Raspberry Pi. That, along with a TM751 modified to handle all housecodes could make for a very good, low cost system.
I also have a Firecracker and was seeing about using it with heyu while I wait for my CM11A cable to arrive, but the heyu configuration process is a little... opaque, shall we say.

Ideally I'd like web access to whatever system I end up using, as well as mobile access and the ability to program devices. I can't tell if heyu does this or not yet.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »

I do not know a great deal about Heyu specifics - I've always written my own software. I'm also not sure who is maintaining it since Charles Sullivan died. This isn't clear from the Heyu website.

Are you running Linux on a PC or on something like the Raspberry Pi?

There is one rather powerful package for the Raspberry Pi but it looks like it requires SimpleHomenet's hardware.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »

Ideally I'd like web access to whatever system I end up using, as well as mobile access and the ability to program devices. I can't tell if heyu does this or not yet.
The heyu webpage lists a few web interfaces.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.