Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One more reason to secure your WiFi router  (Read 1941 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Re: One more reason to secure your WiFi router
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »

Wow. And I work in that city and live 20 minutes away.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »

Wow. And I work in that city and live 20 minutes away.

I don't know what to say (post). Hackers have historically used the Linux OS which allow false IP reporting. I can't even imagine a police department stupid enough to crash into a home swat-style.... based on an IP address. Half of every American city has open WiFi just about anyplace you go... MOST stores, restaurants, on almost every street. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:13:58 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »

I think the lesson to be drawn here is that anyone connecting to the internet by way of your unsecured WiFi router will appear to be coming from your IP - it doesn't require any hacking skills.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »

I think the lesson to be drawn here is that anyone connecting to the internet by way of your unsecured WiFi router will appear to be coming from your IP - it doesn't require any hacking skills.

Of course that could be one lesson. The other would be: that some people may think the local police are so stupid... as not to know something that simple. OR... the real lesson may be... to not believe everything you read.

Windows and apple devices not only give away the IP address that they are using.... those OS's expose the user. If the police crashed the address of a hacker based on IP address I'd guess that there was also a known connection to the addressee.... like a parent. And... what REAL hacker... uses windows and/or apple?!?!?!?

Of course everyone should protect their WiFi now-a-days. It should be both user and guest protected.... with children and guests never allowed to use anything above guest permissions. It doesn't hurt to change your router name and passwords from time-to-time ether. But I own nothing that can't be taken from me with a gun. And guns are far much easier to obtain than the knowledge required to hack a WiFi router.

The biggest security risk to any American individual still remains... the unlocked door.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:37:50 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »

Always assign an administrator password for the router. Do not keep the factory default of no password.

Use the highest level of encryption common to all your devices.

Do not broadcast the router's SSID.

Only allow known MAC addresses to connect via WiFi. Wired connections are not quite as critical since a hacker would need physical access but it's still a good idea to review router DNS and Security logs periodically.

The above steps will keep your network reasonably secure, requiring at least a minimally skilled hacker to connect rather than any neighborhood 12 year old with a smartphone or tablet.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.