Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XX36A not able to see over internet, cell phone? Any help?  (Read 3467 times)

cismontguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
XX36A not able to see over internet, cell phone? Any help?
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »

Hello,

I have 2 XX36A cameras in my shop, connected by CAT5 to my Westell 7500 modem. Less than 1 week ago I could see my 2 cameras on my G4 Android phone using IP Camera Lt. Now my cell phone cannot see the cameras? Does anyone have any good instructions for setting up the XX36A cameras for internet access? I have no idea why the internet access sudden stopped?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XX36A not able to see over internet, cell phone? Any help?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:34:30 PM »

You may want to look at the XX36 information in the X10 Wiki. It may have added information for you.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XX36A

cismontguy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »

OK, well I have spent about 6 hours over 2 days trying to trouble shoot this issue with no success. I have printed out 30 pages of instructions with suggestions on how to establish a fixed IP and how to do port forwarding but the IP cameras still cannot be seen by my G4 cell phone? I have a Westell  Modem/router and it has a port forwarding screen but the instructions on www.portforwarding.com are useless... They do not even come close to my model 7500 ?

So if anyone has any suggestions other  than read the wiki instructions I would appreciate it.

Cismontguy

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »

OK, well I have spent about 6 hours over 2 days trying to trouble shoot this issue with no success. I have printed out 30 pages of instructions with suggestions on how to establish a fixed IP and how to do port forwarding but the IP cameras still cannot be seen by my G4 cell phone? I have a Westell  Modem/router and it has a port forwarding screen but the instructions on www.portforwarding.com are useless... They do not even come close to my model 7500 ?

I setup a server in my basement years ago. It was fun but didn't get much use. I have meant to setup my cameras for remote viewing instead of just on my phone when at home. I should do that... and maybe post directions but I have been waiting to see what direction X10 is going to go.

This is just a wild guess.... so I could be completely wrong. You didn't post much info.

You should call your router manufacture and ask tech to help you. But first.... don't expect to be able to just enter your home IP address into a browser or software/app and have your home router be found. First you're going to need a DNS server to forward the request to your router. Then (with the tech help from your router manufacture) and the proper port address (provided by the camera maker) the request will make it's way to your camera.

One FREE DNS serve is:  https://store.opendns.com/ Even though they offer a free service you may want to think about the cheap value service they offer.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:45:56 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cismontguy

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I just spent 45 minutes with the tech people at Centurylink, my internet provider and the stated that it was a port forwarding issue and that because Westell, the makers of my "new" modem were bought out by some other company, there is no tech support for the Westell 7500 modem! So I am stuck! Worked with my old 660 modem but that modem died! X10 instructions are poor to say the very least.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »

You are not stuck. The Westell 7500 is now a Netgear product.

Here are the Westell 7500 Manuals. From the Netgear web support site.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/Westell/Versalink7500/Westell_VersaLinkA90_UserGuide.pdf
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/Westell/Versalink7500/030-300578_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

Centurylink may have some special firmware in theirs but the generic manuals may give you some information.
http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-westell-7500.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:15:15 PM by Brian H »

cismontguy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »

Thanks for 2 links to the Westell instructions.

I tried to use the CenturyLink instructions for my modem with the CenturyLink tech on the line with me and we could not get them to work! She said it was "a forwarding issue and that she had no more suggestions... so I was on my own". She suggested I call X10 for help? Ha...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.