Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: swimming pool temperature control  (Read 4728 times)

nagyg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
swimming pool temperature control
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »

I bought this http://www.smarthome.com/minotaur-engineering-iwvt-water-variable-temperature-sensor.html and a X10 Powerflash to maintain the temperature of my pool. But it does not work well. When the set temperature is reached the sensor starts to turn the pump/heater on and off every second. Also, this sensor is rather inaccurate and I would prefer a digital temperature sensor that would also allow a precise setting of the temperature difference when the sensor sends the on or off command (hysteresis). I have searched all over the internet and cannot find a solution that works with a X10 Powerflash. Any ideas?

P.S.: I haven't been to this forum for years - proof of how solid my lighting automation with X10 switches and plugs has been working. In an European vacation home I have been using z-wave devices with a VERA controller. What a nightmare ....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: swimming pool temperature control
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »

The Smarthome sales page does not have a users manual on it and Minotaur just points you back to Smarthome.

Maybe you can give some information.
It normally connects to an Insteon I/OLinc. Are there three wires you have to connect to the I/OLinc? +5V, Sensor and Common?
The Powerflash does not supply +5 volts to the sensor. If it needs +5 volts to run. That maybe why yours is cycling On and Off.

The 2450 I/OLinc could have an X10 address programmed into it. Though the sales page no longer mentions an X10 address.

I also remember. The Powerflash when using the Dry Contact mode. The voltage is reversed on the input terminals. I had to reverse them when I connected it to a ELK930 doorbell sensor. If the sensor you have is polarity sensitive. You may want to try reversing the wires.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:43:50 PM by Brian H »

nagyg

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »

I checked with the manufacturer and everything is set up correctly and connected to a new X10 Power Flash - my unit seems to be faulty ... I am going to return it and I am now looking for a digital solution that would work with the Power Flash. I cannot find anything tho and I am hoping that other forum members have found a solution.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »

If running a PC 24/7 doesn't bother you there are a few options for temperature control.
I believe several here use 1 wire devices for similar control.

You could also look at simple weather stations that can be connected to the PC although you would need one that had the option for adding a water proof sensor.
Oregon Scientific WMR88A has the option for a floating sensor. ( Oregon has other stations and water proof sensors with probes)
The software included creates a CVS file which can be read like a text file and info used in many ways.

I have created a small program X10WeatherWatch which can use up to 16 reported values and send x10 commands based on the value or if it is less then or greater then the reported value.
PC Companion also can perform functions based on CSV files.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

nagyg

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »

That's pretty cool! But out of my league, I am afraid ...

I have found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Display-Fahrenheit-Celsius-Temperature-Controller/dp/B00C9M6ZJC

I like that it is 12V and it will be safe with the pool. What I don't know is if it will drive the X10 Powerflash.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:29:33 AM »

The users manual for the unit is on this web page.
http://www.lightobject.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3

The manual indicates it has a form C {NC,NO and Common} relay in it. Rated at 220 volts 3 amps. So it should have no problems controlling a Powerflash in the Dry Contact Mode.

The Amazon sales page indicates that the unit does not come with a temperature probe. So you will have to get one separately.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:20:00 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »

This is probably not useful for your needs, but I control an attic fan to regulate temperature and humidity using an Arduino.  If the attic air gets too warm, I turn the fan on for a set time based on the size so the air is exchanged a given number of times (ideally).  I also control the fan based on humidity since mold is an issue in my area.  I connected a DHT11 in each attic (2 sections that are separate from each other with 2 separate fans) and one DHT11 just outside under the eves.  I use the Arduino to monitor temperature and humidity on each sensor and when the humidity or temperature inside is out of acceptable range and the outside conditions are better I turn the fan on.

This will not obviously work for your needs.  However, I mention this controller because this approach could be adapted to your needs.  The Arduino is available in a VERY compact package for very little money and provides a very robust capability set.  Given a good digital/analog thermometer that could be wired into it, the Arduino could do MANY advanced things that your linked solutions could not offer.  But, at a minimum, it could easily perform what you are looking for in a much smaller package that could be waterproofed a bit easier than that large controller.

Good luck in your project!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »

This is probably not useful for your needs, but I control an attic fan to regulate temperature and humidity using an Arduino.

I do something similar to lower the temperature of our attached garage in the summer.  Even with the garage doors insulated, the garage temperature could climb above 120 in the summer.  So I monitor both garage and outside temperature with the Ocelot (using an analog expansion module), and turn on an exhaust fan overnight when the outside temperature is coolest.  It switches off in the morning as the temperature warms back up.  Cooling down that big concrete slab overnight has reduced the temperature significantly.  Control is through a switched X10 outlet that has been cycling daily throughout the summer for almost a decade.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.