💬General Category > General Discussion

Keep X10 or go Z-Wave?

(1/10) > >>

ciaccia:
Guys I've been thinking as I do like my X10 system it is really not what the future holds in my eyes.....I know there is talk about this wifi device and such but is RF the way to go now?  I mean Lutron RA is expensive but it works and Z-wave is a similar system and is less expensive and has many manufactures integrating with it.  I hate to pour more money in my system but I really want to connect to my system via PC or through my smart phone or tablet.  Any thoughts on this?  Am I crazy for thinking this...I don't want to plug into my CM15A any more and re download my info when the power goes out even though there is a battery back up but it still screws with my timers.  I do have my activehome software back up and running thank God to the dedication to you guys on this forum.  I think the good old days of buying 3 appliance modules for $30-40 are long gone.  just look at the website an appliance module it $23 with no more special deals and a wall switches are $23-$28... Its still cheaper but no deals and its old technology....I don't know what to do! The other systems look so much more enticing. 

dave w:
FWIW
1. X10 is living on borrowed time, but I bet it is here for another four or five years, or until Z-Wave prices or WiFi system prices drop to same as X10.
2. Z-Wave will lose popularity as more WiFi based systems debut.
3. Z-Wave tends to get slower as the system gets bigger.
4. Z-Wave communication is more reliable than X10.
5. Z-Wave is two way, so the controller always knows the true status of a module.

Having said that, although expensive, the Homeseer program talks X10 and Z-Wave (it can use CM15A or CM11A as an interface). Homeseer acts as a server so can be accessed through internet via remote PC, or tablet - smartphone browser. Homeseer can act as media controller, email server, etc with voice control and text to speech capabilities. Since Homeseer talks both X10 and Z-Wave you could use it as a hybrid system, migrating slowly from X10  to Z-Wave. Also Homeseer has plugins for Phillips Hue system, Lutron RA and Homeworks, Lightolier, DSC, HAI, and Gemini security systems, etc. etc. etc. I have Homeseer ver 2 and like it. Version 3 is out but their upgrade cost is outa control (pun intended).

HA Dave:
I think.... you might be thinking in terms of a worn out paradigm.

Back in the old days.... everything had it's own remote. The TV had it's clicker (OK... I am really old) the VCR had it's remote.... and for your X10 had a PalmPad (or maybe a tabletop plug-in controller. Those were the days huh.

But now you can control everything... in so many different ways. There is no longer a need or advantage to limit your home automation use to a singular flavor. I find that more and more I end up controlling things using my iPhone.... or alternately my android tablet. What's the difference if I over-ride my timer/event X10 lighting using my Melloware app.... and control wifi linked bulbs with some other app? Or use an app and IR device to control the TV, cable box, DVD, and sound system up stairs.... and different setting on that app to control the Home Theater downstairs.

The proliferation of new devices and ways to access and control automation (which will soon include cloud-based automation... I am sure) creates price reducing competition. As well as great new innovation.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why X10 can't also include a wifi protocol.... in addition to their RF and PLC control. And no reason why an automation user should limit there setup to one, two, or even three different brands and/or flavors of automation.

dhouston:
There have been a number of alternatives to X10 introduced in the past few years. A few were reviewed here...

* http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2429518%2c00.aspAnd there have been a few more automation hubs that integrate multiple protocols.

Almost all have one thing in common - they lack X10 support.

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: ciaccia on November 05, 2014, 07:09:54 PM ---I don't want to plug into my CM15A any more and re download my info when the power goes out even though there is a battery back up but it still screws with my timers.
--- End quote ---

Early in the morning just a couple of weeks ago I was working on the computer.  It was still dark outside, but one light was on in my room.  My wife had been in the bathroom drying her hair, but came out asking about the power outage.  Apparently the power had gone off for a few seconds, but I didn't see it because the computer and light are on our "electronics circuit" fed by a big 2200VA UPS down in the basement.  The Ocelot (which is our X10 controller) is also on that circuit, and it runs year after year without a problem.  The internal clock battery must be dead by now because it is over a decade old.  The only time I connect to it is when I want to tweak a setting - usually for the irrigation system.

Many folks here know our X10 system is virtually 100% reliable.  The only quirk we had over the last year was one X10 spotlight had turned on but would not respond to an OFF command.  A quick check with the XTBM confirmed no noise on that circuit, and the commands were certainly getting through.  Thinking it might be a code setting switch, I started sending different OFF codes with a Maxi Controller.  (It was night, and it is impossible to get to that floodlight without a ladder.)  Sure enough, the housecode had changed to the one we use for inside lights, and it had responded to one of those ON commands.  I figured I would get the ladder out the next day and spin the code switches, but for some reason it was back on its regular housecode.  That was months ago, and it has been fine since then.  We did have a nasty storm about the time it happened, so maybe some water got somewhere it shouldn't.  Anyway, X10 has been 100% this past year except for that.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version