Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Keep X10 or go Z-Wave?  (Read 24471 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Keep X10 or go Z-Wave?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »

I've seen many users jump on the band wagon.
Of those that stuck with it (I know about ) do not have a Zwave only setup.
One user I know of dumped all x10 and moved straight to Zwave only to return to using X10 after several months. They had a Zwave vera setup and praised it over X10 to the point some users felt they were bashing X10.

I believe like others that have posted here the best home automation setup includes several different protocols.
I hope ciaccia you do keep us informed even if you dump X10 modules completely.
 And not just after a few months of success or failure.
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »

And here's a different approach.  A little over a year ago, I was thinking of dumping X10 due to reliability issues.  But in the end, I thought I would give it one last shot and purchased the XTB-IIR repeater from Jeff http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm.  Since then I haven't looked back, because Jeff's repeater solved all my reliability issues, to the tune of 100% (but to be completely fair, I have always used filters on a few select noisy items - so my home was reasonably X10 friendly - but just not quite good enough).

Subsequent to that, I purchased "better" software and run it on an old/cheap computer - namely,HCA 12.0 Plus connected to Jeff's XTB-232 (its like a CM11 only way, way better).  Why??  Because the software allows me to mix & match X10, Insteon, UPB, Z-wave etc. if I should ever choose to do so.

And the software is constantly being updated, so I don't doubt they would add something new/popular that came along.  AND - it allows me to do cool stuff that is clumsy or impossible with other methods of control (eg. it checks weather on the internet and turns on/off my wife's car block heater based on temperature, but only during 5AM to 9AM - then Off in daytime regardless).  Obviously it also allows me to use the internet (and my phone plus a home Android Tablet via WiFi) to remotely control or monitor various other functions in my home.

I haven't purchased any other signalling technology besides X10...but knowing I can at any time; makes me feel better.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 12:15:55 AM »

And here's a different approach.  .........
... I purchased "better" software and run it on an old/cheap computer - namely,HCA 12.0 Plus connected to Jeff's XTB-232 (its like a CM11 only way, way better).  Why??  Because the software allows me to mix & match X10, Insteon, UPB, Z-wave etc. if I should ever choose to do so.

You may have found the best solution I've read about yet. I wonder why I've never read about this HCA before.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »

You may have found the best solution I've read about yet. I wonder why I've never read about this HCA before.

HCA is also called Home Control Assistant.  I listed it on our website under X10 Automation Software back when X10WTI went down:

http://jvde.us/forum/index.php?topic=36.0

(I'm sure there are other automation programs out there that I am not familiar with.)

There is a free limited X10-only version of HCA available if you just want to get a feel for how it works.  The standard version ($80) supports X10 and Insteon.  The Pro version ($160) adds UPB, Zwave, and a bunch more features.  (I have no relationship with HCA other than using their free version for testing.)

Many folks use HomeSeer to run their automation systems.  That is normally pretty expensive compared with X10 prices, but they are having a Cyber Week sale.  I'm pondering picking up a copy for myself.

Jeff

X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »

HCA is also called Home Control Assistant.  I listed it on our website under X10 Automation Software back when X10WTI went down:

http://jvde.us/forum/index.php?topic=36.0

(I'm sure there are other automation programs out there that I am not familiar with.)

There is a free limited X10-only version of HCA available if you just want to get a feel for how it works.  The standard version ($80) supports X10 and Insteon.  The Pro version ($160) adds UPB, Zwave, and a bunch more features.  (I have no relationship with HCA other than using their free version for testing.)

Thanks Jeff!
With a free 30 day trial.... it would be hard to go wrong.

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »

Admittedly I stumbled on HCA last year when I got re-excited about my X10 investment.  Apparently the latest versions are considerably broader than when HCA started.  HomeSeer was kinda out of my pay-grade, but the full HCA Plus was "affordable" and does everything I ever wanted to do.  In fact some of the permutations and combinations exceed my somewhat limited logical grasp.  It has something called visual programmer which helps me a lot....so when finished with a particular program (AKA macro) I lean back and squint at the page to see if I've covered all the ramifications - and it has a "check function" in case I leave some functions dangling.

The if-then-else-plus potential is frankly, quite amazing.  Can you tell I'm a fan?

ciaccia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 10:06:09 PM »

Ok so far I have purchased 5 switches in the z-wave protocol using vera lite which is also supposed to include insteon and x10 in their ui5 software....its a lot different in how you program scenes and the such but so far I have been enjoying it.....the response to the devices themselves are almost instant...I do like the fact that the non dimmer switches are way quieter than the X10 non dimmers.  very quiet....I am still using x10 on some of my system but maybe taking some out....I only have removed one x10 device but Im still looking to see how my interface works with x10

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »

Ok so far I have purchased 5 switches in the z-wave protocol using vera lite which is also supposed to include insteon and x10 in their ui5 software.................. Im still looking to see how my interface works with x10

Keep us up on that if you would. Many of us have a lot of X10... and I think we'd all like to know how what integrates with what. As we already have invested a bunch in working X10.

ciaccia

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »

Hi there I just wanted to say that I have installed a total of 16 devices for my Z-wave Network...I do love this protocol so far and have had no issues with it as of yet.  I did have some signal issues with the network not seeing a device or two but that was because I had them so far apart and in my area we use conduit and metal boxes so the signal strength gets reduced along with going through walls and the floor BUT this was resolved by adding a Z-Wave receptacle half way down the road and used as a repeater and for some holiday lights so I have them working very good at this point.  I am a little disappointed to the fact that I did and do enjoy by X10 devices but it seemed the company never was able to upgrade its product or incorporate something like insteon has...To my knowledge and I know a lot of you know a hell of a lot more than me as Im just an electrician and not an electronics expert in anyway is that X10 is a power carrier device which to me revolutionized home automation as we know it and lasted a hell of a lot longer that any other products on the market.  Insteon is a power carrier device that also uses an RF mesh network as well so its similar to a Z-wave and an X10 network working together if I'm correct.  I thought when active home pro came out for X10 and the CM15 I was blown away and loved the interface and the smart macros..yes it was a little quirky at times but everyone on here put their heads together and was able to figure out ways to do things to make what each one of us wanted to do.  I am very appreciative of this forum and for everyone that puts their input in because if it wasn't for this forum I would not have been an X10 customer/user for as long as I have been.

A BIG THANK YOU AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS #:) >! :)%

Marauder2003

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »

Do any of the other protocols have wall light switches that fit a standard narrow toggle switch plate?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

Do any of the other protocols have wall light switches that fit a standard narrow toggle switch plate?
I think Insteon still offers a couple toggle models, but AFAIK everyone else is paddle style.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »

The Insteon Togglelinc is still available. In both On/Off {relay} and Dimmer. White and Ivory seem to be the only two colors now offered.
Since they are not the latest Dual Band {RF and Power line communications} models. No saying how long they will be sold.
Also like most of the Insteon devices. No longer list X10 support.

ciaccia

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »

Z-wave has standard toggle plate switches..

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »

Why not consider using BOTH (3?) technologies? I saw this from SmartHome just today. Doesn't look like it's ready YET... but has a lot of possibilities.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:18:47 AM by HA Dave »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »

Why not consider using BOTH (3?) technologies? I saw this from SmartHome just today. Doesn't look like it's ready YET... but has a lot of possibilities.

At first look this seemed promising, but read the reviews on the version that is supposed to support X10 and Insteon:

http://www.smarthome.com/vera-control-ltd-veralite-insteon-compatible-z-wave-controller.html

I hope X10 comes out with their new controller soon...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.