Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Keep X10 or go Z-Wave?  (Read 24466 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Keep X10 or go Z-Wave?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »

I hope X10 comes out with their new controller soon...
Jeff
Is that a CM15A type controller?

Anyone hear anymore peeps about the WiFi interface?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »

Last I heard it is ready to go they are just waiting on decent software.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »

I hope X10 comes out with their new controller soon...

Me too Jeff. Me too.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

merkelck

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »

It's been sometime since I read or posted on this forum and it is refreshing indeed to see some of the old (older) reliable faces that helped me get X10 going in my home. Thanks to Jeff's devices, (I think I own most of them), I was able to get my system running and it is still going strong today. But I have also worried about what will happen if I am unable to get AHP working for some reason. I looked at the HCA and that sure seems to be a reasonable avenue but I was disappointed to see that their website doesn't mention anything newer than Vista. I see that they released a new version this past January, so I would hope they think it will work with Win7 at least. My plan is to try the mid range version and install a separate CM15 so that I could experiment with it without fouling or at least being able to restore the current system. (Is that being too logical??).
Another reason for trying to find something a little more sophisticated is that I need to run my irrigation system in compliance with the water restrictions here in North Texas. So far I haven't figured out how to set up a macro that runs every second Thursday with AHP. It needs to be calendar driven and accept inputs from realtime weather conditions. For a change, we are actually getting some rain here...

Spring has sprung..
Kent
When things seem to be going well, you have probably overlooked something.

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »

If you go to this link http://www.hcatech.com/download/V12/Doc/TechNote_CM15.pdf- they specifically describe setting up CM15A with Windows 7 & 8.  So, clearly, their software is compatible with both.  The "challenge" with newer versions of windows seems to be installing the driver for CM15A's - not the software itself (although I run Jeff's XTB-232 with my HCA 12Plus system - so I'm only sharing HCA's data for using CM15A, not direct experience).

If you've found outdated material on their website - you should send them a note.  I'm sure they don't want to be considered in the same breath as Vista!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:51:02 PM by joe s. »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 05:51:10 PM »

Bump...bump, bump, bump.
X10.com? Authenix, Tuicemen? anyone?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »

I've requested some feed back from Authinx regarding what is going on with the Wi-Fi unit.
Being most of China was shut down for their New Years I have waited to inquire further till now.
I'll post what I hear back in the Wi-Fi modules thread : http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28628.0
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »

I saw what you posted Tuicemen. Thanks!!

merkelck

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »

If you go to this link http://www.hcatech.com/download/V12/Doc/TechNote_CM15.pdf- they specifically describe setting up CM15A with Windows 7 & 8.  So, clearly, their software is compatible with both.  The "challenge" with newer versions of windows seems to be installing the driver for CM15A's - not the software itself (although I run Jeff's XTB-232 with my HCA 12Plus system - so I'm only sharing HCA's data for using CM15A, not direct experience).

If you've found outdated material on their website - you should send them a note.  I'm sure they don't want to be considered in the same breath as Vista!

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the technote and see what the issue is. I will point that out to them as well. Just seeing the list end with Vista was a red flag to me and I am sure others...It would be nice if separate drivers would allow me to run both at the same time allowing me to migrate the system at my leisure. But that may be wishful thinking..

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »

Hard to say whether AHP & HCA would "fight over" the device.  When I switched - my original controllers were 1132CU/Smarthome Manager and CM15A/HCA - but since 1132CU was a downloaded/standalone device, there was really no fighting.  But HCA can be pre-programmed for the cut-over even when there is no device connected - which is essentially what I did, anyway.

merkelck

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »

Hard to say whether AHP & HCA would "fight over" the device.  When I switched - my original controllers were 1132CU/Smarthome Manager and CM15A/HCA - but since 1132CU was a downloaded/standalone device, there was really no fighting.  But HCA can be pre-programmed for the cut-over even when there is no device connected - which is essentially what I did, anyway.

Thanks for the info. I am going to give them a try. Summer is not the time for a project like that but I am going to get it started.
Kent

Madd Catt

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »

its old technology....I don't know what to do! The other systems look so much more enticing.
My feeling is "run with what have" (x10). Yes, it maybe considered old technology but it proven and works well. If Authinx had not come on board then it might have been time to consider other options only after component availability was gone (that will be a while - suppliers and auction sites).

X10 started in 1978(?). Will Z-wave and others last that long?

I am putting together a X10 package for a new customer as I write this.

iosifidis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »

X10 are very reliable devices. Also there are plenty of platforms which aim to monitor these devices.
I would like to recommend a platform which allows you to control different type of divices, such as mochad,insteon,fitbit etc. Just check it: www.sensorflare.com .
It provides multiconnectivity , reliability, monitoring & automated functionalities. It works on your pc, tablet & smartphone.
And last but not least, it's free !   -:)

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 12:44:46 AM »

I have a large X-10 system that I installed decades ago. All is well except the wired X-10 with floodlights motion sensor has failed. I do not like the wireless one.

I control it all with the old Plato HouseLink box. I program it with a Windows 7 32 bit Dell laptop which I only use for programming the Plato box. The program will not run on my Windows 10 64 bit OS. I love the simple but powerful Plato GUI.

Are there any other boxes with a great computer GUI that will work with X-10? If so, which is the best?

Thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »

I have a large X-10 system that I installed decades ago. ………………………..
..............Are there any other boxes with a great computer GUI that will work with X-10? If so, which is the best?

The X10 forums no longer attracts the viewership it did back-in-the-day. These days.... there are only a handful of us regulars. And I am sure all of us have read each of your several posts.

Your options are NOT limited. But you'll need to decide and express what kind if direction you wish to go.

Are you looking to just replace what you already have and know?
Do you wish to invest a little learning time and money to upgrade?

The changes in Home Automation since you chose X10 back in the early days..... has been staggeringly enormous. Maybe... instead of searching keywords and posting (and reposting) to old threads.... you may want to take a little time and read some current posts.

By the way...... welcome to the X10 forums!
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.