Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Home Pro  (Read 3103 times)

JBL11554

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Home Pro
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »

I have been using Active Home Pro, wireless remotes and the CM11 module for sometime now.  When I first set it up I assigned a different house code to each room (Dining Room, Kitchen, Living Room, Breakfast Nook, Master Bedroom, Outside, etc).  I still kind of use it that way but, I am looking for suggestions on what is the easy way to setup a house.  Is it easier to use one house code and create the rooms that way or what.  Basically I'm looking for feedback on what is the best way to use the system.  What I have works now but, issues seem to crop up every now and then.  Interestingly, I've found that the wireless remote can talk to the individual modules/wall switches which I've known for some time now.  What I didn't know is that certain house codes don't seem to work as well as others.  For example, I can control a module without any problem when I use house codes E thru G for example.  Anything above that (H thru P) don't seem to work as well for turning the module off/on using the wireless remote.  So am I better off finding which groups of house codes seem to work best and build my system around that.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've also tried finding an Active Home Pro video that guides you thru the process without much success.  Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Active Home Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »

There is a thread on the forum that discusses this in detail though the exact one eludes me right now
I believe Taketheactive started it.
Doing a forum search should reveal it!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:48:24 AM »

What I didn't know is that certain house codes don't seem to work as well as others.  For example, I can control a module without any problem when I use house codes E thru G for example.  Anything above that (H thru P) don't seem to work as well for turning the module off/on using the wireless remote.

Almost all housecodes should work the same.  The only one that sometimes gives a problem is M due to its very regular data pattern.  I prefer housecodes with multiple bit flips to make it more difficult to be emulated by powerline noise.

Since you use different housecodes for different rooms, the fact that some housecodes do not work well may mean that those rooms are further from the transmitter, or there is a device on that circuit corrupting the X10 signals.  You can read more about housecodes in the X10 Technical Note:

http://jvde.us/info/X10_protocol.pdf

Here I tried to minimize our X10 footprint.  I used one housecode for interior lights, one housecode for basement, garage, and exterior lights, and a third housecode to trigger all macros.  The advantage of minimizing the footprint is that a single PalmPad will control almost all interior lights.  Manual control of exterior lights is handled by Leviton 16400 controllers at several locations throughout the home.  Another 16400 in the master bedroom will control all lights throughout the entire house through macros.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

JBL11554

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

JBL11554

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »

I tried doing a search on Taketheactive without any success.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »

There are many post to go threw looking at just that user.
The thread may not even have been started by them but was commented on by them.
they mention their setup and logic here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=9386.msg56503#msg56503

Other house codes to avoid besides what Jeff posted about are A and P if using AHP .
A is the factory default it is more likely a person close by would be using it then others
Many devices reset to A1 when batteries are failing although I have seen motion sensors reset to other unit codes
P16 get used by AHP P16 is when it starts up I believe. There were other unit codes for P being used with AHP but I believe they have been fixed

What it boils down to is personal preference when setting up your system
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JBL11554

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »

Thanks.  I avoided using A for the very reason you stated.  Well everything is working fine at this point.  I will look over the link and see what I can glean from it  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.