Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: AHP Lifejacket  (Read 136902 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AHP Lifejacket
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:12:08 AM »

Thanks again! -- jclarkw

jclarkw

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »

The new build was submitted to Authinx and I received approval to post the latest version with registration files included! :)%
Tuicemen -- One more unsophisticated question:  Does this really mean that the current version (1.0.1.3) will register an unregistered copy of AHP even if no registered copy at all is available?

Unsolicited (and probably unfair) comment:  In general it's difficult to determine from the various forum threads what problems have and have not been solved in which versions of AHP Lifejacket.  I looked briefly at the referenced thread on your own site (http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.msg5445#msg5445) and did not find anything like a version history for your program.  Is any such listing available?

Thanks again for doing all this work for us (and for X10)! -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 12:02:47 PM »

The current version registers AHP to "Tuicemen" if you use the included default id and x10prod.sys file.

There is no version history.
Version 1.0.1.0 and 1.0.1.3 are the only release versions others were beta versions.
The current version fixed the issue with reverting back to your old drive ID
It also makes only plugins available with the default settings selectable unless a different ID is used.
This makes it more clear what is available with the default info.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

The current version registers AHP to "Tuicemen" if you use the included default id and x10prod.sys file...
The current version fixed the issue with reverting back to your old drive ID
It also makes only plugins available with the default settings selectable unless a different ID is used.
This makes it more clear what is available with the default info.
 >!
OK, I don't think I have any excuse to postpone this any longer.  I'll report back with results... -- jclarkw

jclarkw

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »

...The current version fixed the issue with reverting back to your old drive ID...
 >!
Tuicemen -- HELP!  Can't revert Volume S/N!

I think I'm in serious trouble (Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1).  I installed AHP 3.318 from the X10 Web site (seemed to go OK; was able to turn modules on and off) and then AHP Lifejacket 1.0.1.3 from this thread.  I tried to follow the instructions in the Help screen from Lifejacket:

1) I succeeded in changing the volume serial number and, apparently, in registering AHP.  Then I restarted.
2) I ran AHP -- no nag screen -- and then Lifejacket (as administrator) and attempted to revert the volume S/N.  This is where I ran into trouble.  When I clicked StopX10nets, it gave me the message, "Cannot open X10nets service on this computer" (at least I think that's what prompted the message).  StartX10nets, however, told me that it's already running, which indeed agrees with Services.
3) At this point I uninstalled AHP (which apparently doesn't uninstall that service) and tried with Lifejacket again to revert the volume S/N.  No joy.  Now it complains that AHP is not running.
4) Re-installing AHP results in a version that won't run.
5) There doesn't appear to be any way to uninstall Lifejacket.

Do you have a straightforward solution to this problem?

If not, I'm inclined to do a bare-metal restore of the machine from an image backup that I made just before starting this exercise; but I'm afraid that nothing (including the restore software!) will work with the volume S/N changed.  Fortunately I wrote down (and Lifejacket still remembers) the original S/N, so I could use something like SysInternals/VolumeID to set it back.  Before I get that deeply into it, however, I would like your advice.

Writing this on another computer, since I disconnected the target machine from the Internet for safety.  Any help much appreciated. -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »

Don't worry your not in serious trouble.
You didn't need to uninstall AHP
Since you reinstalled you'll need to run AHP lifejacket again.
Many forget to right click and select "run as admin" every time when starting lifejacket.
You need to do this even for reverting the ID.
If all fails you can run it from safe mode.

There is a uninstaller for Lifejacket in its folder however this may remove needed files for the plugins.
The file is unins000.exe
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »

Don't worry your not in serious trouble.
You didn't need to uninstall AHP
Since you reinstalled you'll need to run AHP lifejacket again.
Many forget to right click and select "run as admin" every time when starting lifejacket.
You need to do this even for reverting the ID...

Tuicemen -- THANKS for holding my hand.  With your help the few anomalies that I encountered didn't throw me this time.  (Last time I know I ran Lifejacket as administrator in the second group of steps to revert the volume ID, but I'm not so sure about the first group to change the ID and register.)  Perhaps these notes will help you and/or others:

1) When I re-installed AHP (having already uninstalled), the automatic start from the installer brought up its window but then an immediate warning that "ActiveHome Pro has stepped working."  I just told it to close and opened Lifejacket.
2) In the first group of steps in Lifejacket of course I had to modify the volume ID in order to get access to the registration button.  But in this case the old and new IDs were the same, since that had already been done.  I did it again anyhow.
3) In the second group of steps I was grateful that Lifejacket remembered the original volume ID, in spite of the indications in (2) above, and offered to change it back correctly.  You have some pretty foolproof software here to survive all the screw-ups I made. :)%
4) One suggestion:  Correct the Help screen to correspond to the pop-up window at the end of the process.  After reverting the volume ID, Help says to start x10nets, close AHP, and then restart.  The pop-up, on the other hand, says, "Please close AHP and restart BC do not start x10nets." ???  The latter order seems to have worked.

Bottom line -- I seem to be back up and running with no ill effects noticed so far. :D  Now comes the really hard part of relearning how to use AHP with the CM15A...  Did anyone ever write a better user guide than the sometimes cryptic stuff in the help files?

Best Regards. -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 07:57:29 AM »

Good catch on the help file error!
Should have been Don't start instead of Start.
My key board sometimes misses the first few letters when the batteries are failing however it was probably me just being tired.
I'll get that fixed shortly.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »

Well, it finally happened here. Burned my last two XP machines running AHP.  Replaced these with 3 more XP machines, but cannot get lifejacket to run on XP due to a limitation with dotnet 4.  Any clue how to make my xp machines talk AHP again?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »

Did you back up the required files?
I'm not sure I still have your old info here.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 11:04:46 PM »

Well, it finally happened here. Burned my last two XP machines running AHP.  Replaced these with 3 more XP machines, but cannot get lifejacket to run on XP due to a limitation with dotnet 4.  Any clue how to make my xp machines talk AHP again?

Is there anything you need that I can help you with?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »

Remember XP sp2 is needed for net4.
Lifejacket uses Windows Essentials for changing the drive ID but there are other ways to do that, some work better then others.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »

Knightrider, Since you were one of the users that helped supply info to create this, I was able to retrieve info for one of the XP machines you supplied. If you need the info PM or email me.

If you have a machine that will run lifejacket (doesn't matter if it is Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10) you can back up the current drive ID and AHP info on it. Then run AHP_Lifejacket on it with info of the XP backup you or I have.
Reboot open AHP then AHP_Lifejacket and do the revert, only type in the Drive ID of the XP machine you wish to get back working with AHP.
Once that has been done you simply move the X10prod.sys and ahp_plugin.xml from the new machine to the XP machine.

Note: AHP and X10nets should not be running on the XP machine till after the files have been replaced on the XP machine.
 >!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:08:57 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Squirrel1162

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 01:23:48 AM »

First off, thank you for your quick response about the smart macro module.  Saved me from pulling out more hair.   ;D  Then I found AHP Lifejacket.  Read  the responses from many who said it was easy to install, etc., and thought "This what I really need."  I downloaded it and  tried running it.  After pressing "Stopnet", I received the error message, "Could not communicate with server."  I am running Windows 10 if that makes a difference. I am hoping I have over looked something that you can inform me about.  Thank you for your advice..

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 08:19:03 AM »

The most common error is: Users not right clicking lifejacket and running as administrator. Even I occasionally forget to do this.
You need to run as administrator even if your logged in as an administrator.
Lifejacket will not stop x10 nets if not run as administrator nor can you change the volume ID.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.