Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SS13a and CM15a Issues  (Read 2614 times)

dwinber

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SS13a and CM15a Issues
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but have used X10 for five years or so.

A year or so ago i tried to modify my CM15A to extend the range.  I took the plastic antenna off and tried to use a radio shack antenna as described in the mod forums.  It was unsuccessful and it pretty much ruined the CM15A from a wireless standpoint.  None of my SS13A switches would work with it after my failed mod attempt.  The CM15A still functions properly with the timers/macros and connected the PC by USB, it just doesn't accept wireless commands through the antenna anymore.  I'd like some tips to see if I could get it working again.

Since I couldn't use the SS13A switches anymore, I finally broke down and bought a new CM15A so I could use the SS13A's again.  Well, that doesn't work either unless I literally hold the SS13A a foot or less in proximity of of the CM15A antenna.  I bought new batteries in the SS13A but that didn't help extend the range any either.  I moved it to a different location in the house to see if there was interference.  I still had to basically hold the SS13A against the CM15A antenna to get it to trigger the event.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SS13a and CM15a Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »

You may want to look at this. For getting better RF distance with a Stick-A-Switch.
http://www.davehouston.net/X10_feng_shui.htm

Was the mod you tried. The one where you used the External Shack Antenna with a coaxial or twin lead wire to it?

dwinber

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »

Thanks Brian.  That strange thing is that it used to work ok.  I could get maybe 30 feet of range sometimes between my SS and the CM15A.  I actually remember seeing that link you provided back when I was doing my mod research.  I first tried this in the link you sent because it wasn't invasive.  I didn't see any improvement.  Then I tried the mod where you pulled the antenna wire out of the plastic antenna case to extend the range.  That actually killed the range down to almost a foot.  Then I tried the mod with the radio shack antenna.  That killed it totally, even with the SS right up against the antenna.

Why would I not be able to get the SS to work now with my new CM15a at least from a few feet away?  I would think without any mods, a SS and new CM15a should work together withing 10 feet at least.  I can't even get that. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »

Extending the antenna should have improved the range.
I wounder if you have some outside RF interference and the more sensitive CM15A received more poorly. Due to the interference.

You don't have a X10 remote buried in a drawer or seat cushion by chance?

Anything new in the house about the same time things got real poor?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »

If you can get the CM15A to work with its normal range, you might consider adding a RF repeater instead of modifying things.  I've added the RS antenna and it works much better, but I believe I could have gotten similar results with an array of repeaters.  Depending on the size of coverage range, this could be cost prohibitive or quite affordable (perhaps less than the RS antenna).

netrunner

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »

+1 on this. I have the new RF repeater, SR751 and it is very effective in both picking up weak signals and repeating them with a strong signal.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.