Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SS13a flooding AHP and CM15a  (Read 12383 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: SS13a flooding AHP and CM15a
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »

If I use the w572RF32 I can map a DS10a or other security sensor to a house/unit code that can be transmitted over PLC. Then AHP using a CM11a can hear that and trigger a macro. Is that correct? Obviously I don't see a need for OnAlert doing it this way. But since I usually have to use a phantom module for the DS10a anyway, what's the difference?
Yes you could then do away with the OnAlert plugin.

You could also use a CM19 with AHP (cheaper then the Cm11).
It will see a security signal and send a RF signal out to turn on a light you could then  use the w572RF32 or some other RF to PLC transceiver to convert the X10 lamp signal to a PLC signal
However then all your communication from and to AHP would need to be sent RF
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »

You could also use a CM19 with AHP (cheaper then the Cm11).
It will see a security signal and send a RF signal out to turn on a light you could then  use the w572RF32 or some other RF to PLC transceiver to convert the X10 lamp signal to a PLC signal
However then all your communication from and to AHP would need to be sent RF

Just to make sure I understand.

Use a CM19 with AHP. CM19 hears DS10a and AHP/OnAlert does it thing to say turn on a lamp at I2. I tell AHP to send I2 over RF. THat's when the W572RF32 picks it up and sends it to the XTB-IIR over the TW532 emulation port and on to PLC.

Which way is more efficient and reliable? Also, somewhere down the line I do plan on experimenting with PCC and other stuff. Just need a good reliable base system setup first.

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

Tuicemen regarding:
There are devices that will hear security signals and map them to a standard X10 PLC signal.....do away with OnAlert

What device(s) would those be?  I've gotta think thats better than doing everything via RF....no?

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »

Tuicemen regarding:
There are devices that will hear security signals and map them to a standard X10 PLC signal.....do away with OnAlert

What device(s) would those be?  I've gotta think thats better than doing everything via RF....no?

The WGL W572RF32 will do it.

joe s.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

I see - so not using the emulation port on your new repeater at all, but essentially using the PC to receive the RF side and push out via CM11, any PLC signals that might be needed on the powerline.  Got it.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »

I see - so not using the emulation port on your new repeater at all, but essentially using the PC to receive the RF side and push out via CM11, any PLC signals that might be needed on the powerline.  Got it.

Actually no.

Option one. W572RF32 connected to emulation port on XTB-IIR and have it map the security sensors to a house/unit code and put it on the powerline. Then AHP with a CM11a picks that up and runs the macro.

Option two. W572RF32 is till connected to the XTB-IIR but doesn't map the sensors. AHP with OnAlert uses a CM19 and listens for the sensors to run the macros but sends an RF signal to the W572 to be put on the powerline via the XTB-IIR. In other words, with this option AHP is only an RF transceiver never putting anything on the powerline. All PLC commands rely on the W572 and XTB-IIR.

Both options sound very reliable with option 2 sounding a little cheaper.

joe s.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »

OK (somehow RF32 made my brain think RS232 which is where I went off the rails) - option 2 does sound cheaper...but "feels" like it might be slower for other day to day stuff.  Maybe not - just not sure.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »

OK (somehow RF32 made my brain think RS232 which is where I went off the rails) - option 2 does sound cheaper...but "feels" like it might be slower for other day to day stuff.  Maybe not - just not sure.

Yeah, option 1 sounds more solid. Besides, any macro I make using a security sensor needs to use a phantom module anyway because of conditions. The only reason I see to use option 2 is cheaper and the use of OnAlert. Well it's not that much cheaper and I would only use OnAlert to see the sensor and have AHP trigger a phantom module.

Option 1 also opens the door for different softwares like HAC or PCC to name a couple.

joe s.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »

I think your wise beyond your years.  When I dumped AHP a year ago - it was a struggle changing operating systems, hard drives etc. and everyone lived in fear that a PC failure would shut down the household.  It didn't look like a good long term choice back then.  But Tuicemen and the new X10 folks appear committed to bringing it back to life and keep adding features - so its not a bad idea to stay with it now.  Once you have a solid backbone (sounds like your on the path) - it becomes all about the software doing what you want.  Much more enjoyable than chasing bad CFL's around the house.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »

Yeah, things for X10 certainly are looking up and considering the time and money already invested, why not continue down that road.

I'll wait and see if the XTB-IIR solves my current problems. If it does I'll go down the WGL road later after the holidays when I can generate the extra cash. However, if the CM15a becomes the problem, then instead of throwing $80 to $100 at it, I'll spend the extra and get the WGL/CM11a or XTB-232 direction. That gets me back up and running with a solid backbone and future expansion/opportunities. And still for a lot less than converting over to newer technology that still isn't standardized.

joe s.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »

I highly doubt you'll have PLC signal strength/reliability problems after the XTB-IIR (assuming you had any).  Be sure to update once its installed & running for about a week - I'd be interested to know if your CM15A turns out to be storming you, or if it was the old repeater.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »

As I wait for my XTB-IIR, I've been watching my log a lot more now and have a question. What is the normal log entries for an RF switch to turn on a lamp? I assume the log should show something like this.

Receive RF F1 ON
Receive RF F1 ON
Receive F1(Module Name)
Receive F1(Module Name)
Receive F ON
Receive F ON

Is that normal? Or should there be one entry each?
Here is what I currently get.

Receive RF F1 ON
Receive RF F1 ON
Repeated several dozen times - Receive F1(Module Name)
Then finally - Receive F ON
Receive F ON
and the light comes on.

I just want to confirm normal log entries so when I replace the XCPR with the XTB-IIR I know what is normal.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »

I never had any luck using the stick a switches.
I had hoped I still had one to play with but it looks like they may have found their way to the trash.

Using a Palm Pad  (HR13a) the activity log shows:
Receive RF F1 ON
Receive F1(Module Name)
Receive F ON

However if you hold down the button or it sticks a bit you can get info like your seeing.
Maybe your switch needs a good cleaning.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »

I never had any luck using the stick a switches.
I had hoped I still had one to play with but it looks like they may have found their way to the trash.

Using a Palm Pad  (HR13a) the activity log shows:
Receive RF F1 ON
Receive F1(Module Name)
Receive F ON

However if you hold down the button or it sticks a bit you can get info like your seeing.
Maybe your switch needs a good cleaning.

Thanks Tuicemen. I actually get the same results from 2 different stick-a-switches and 3 different palm pads. This is why I think the XCPR is my problem. The double Receive RF could be from pressing the button too long, but I think the several dozen Receive F1(Module Name) is the XCPR repeating the signal over and over. At least I hope so and the XTB-IIR will at least solve that problem. In fact, all of my RF devices have always showed at least 2 Receive RF entries. Motion sensors, stick-a-switch and palm pads. The only thing that only shows one entry are the security sensors.

Worse case is the CM15a is the problem and I get all the improvements of the XTB-IIR once I get things fixed.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »

Just a quick update. I received my XTB-IIR today on Xmas Eve. What a fantastic Xmas gift to myself.

I installed it and so far the flooding of commands seem to have stopped. I'll continue to monitor and give another update. Right now it's off to the holidays.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday season.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.