Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling Insteon Dimmer with X10 remote  (Read 3722 times)

Kevinicus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling Insteon Dimmer with X10 remote
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »

I'm building a home theater, and will be using Insteon Dimmer switches for my lights.  I have some x10 equipment left over from a previous house, including some remotes.  Eventually, I will have the Insteon set up with an ISY994i, and will use iRule to control everything in my theater, including the lighting.  However, none of that is setup yet.  I have several of the dimmers installed now in my mechanical room, so it is a little inconvenient to walk through a couple rooms to get the lights on to the theater.  I was wondering if it is possible to set them up to be turned on and off (not dimmed) with the x10 remotes?  I see in the instructions how to add an x10 address, but I haven't had success with it.  Do I need something else more than the remotes?  Is it possible my remote just needs new batteries, or isn't consistently sending out the signal when I press the button (the light to indicate a button press hasn't worked in a long time)?

I think the dimmers are 2477D if I recall correctly.

Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Controlling Insteon Dimmer with X10 remote
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:31:46 PM »

You need an X10 Transceiver. To take the X10 RF command from the X10 remote and send it on the power lines.
A TM751 (X10Pro PAT02) or RR501 (X10Pro PAT01)are the common ones.

How old are the 2477D Insteon Dual Band Switchlincs?
Should be a few white stickers on the front plate. That would give an indication of its hardware revision and date code.
From unofficial statements and the latest sales page for the 2477D. X10 support has been dropped but the manuals have not caught up yet.

If you have an X10 Transceiver. Try adding an X10 Primary Address and see if it is accepted.

You can test the X10 remote if you have a transceiver. Set it to the House Code and Unit Code of the transceiver and you should hear its internal ratchet switch clunk On and Off.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:00:40 PM by Brian H »

Kevinicus

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »

I do have a transceiver, and I did test it with some small items last night, and it worked.  I had to push the buttons pretty hard sometimes, but it worked.  I'm not sure on the age of the switches since I'm at work, but I only bought them a couple months ago from Costco.  I'll check on that when I get home. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »

OK on the checking the labels.

You may want to try adding the X10 address with the transceiver in a few places. As I would think you have no phase coupling or X10 filters on some common noise and signal sucking devices.

Kevinicus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:35:09 PM »

Okay.  The version is 7.6 I think, and the date code is 4214.

You mean try adding the address with the transceiver in different locations to see if it works in another outlet?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:05:53 AM »

I would try moving the transceiver around to see if you can find a circuit where the X10 signals can get to the 2477D.
As I am thinking you have no phase coupling to get X10 signals from one phase of the AC power feed to the other phase and no X10 style filters on things like UPS units, Electronics, etc. For power line signal suckers or noise makers.

If you can't find anywhere the transceiver can add an X10 address to the 2477D. It may have had that feature dropped.

The 2477D is a Dual Band Module for Insteon. So the commands are sent both by RF and power line.
Has a better chance of working.

leonpc

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »

The 2477D does not support x10 commands directly. 

However, the way I am looking at addressing that with a similar setup as you, is to use the X10 remote to send a dimmer request.  Through the transceiver it is placed on the powerline and the ISY can read this information.  I use the ISY to trigger an action based on this x10 request to then lower the lights.  So far it seems to work.  Althought a Insteon Mini remote may be cheaper then the time I am spending to program this ;)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »

Unfortunately X10 support was eliminated in the latest unit. My earlier Insteon SwitchLincs and ApplianceLinc could have an X10 address programmed into them and I have a HR12A Palmpad controlling some of them.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.