🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

Home Theater Upgrade

<< < (11/11)

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Traverso on August 20, 2018, 10:09:37 AM ---Did anyone set up their home theater recently? What brand are people going with these days?

--- End quote ---

Wow talk about a revived old thread. This is originally from 2015 I believe. Fortunately.... I regularly upgrade. I do not believe these technologies stand still long enough to be left alone for long. My Home Automation and my Home Theater are like moving targets.

I am a cyclist.... and while out riding one day stopped at a yard sale that interested me and found a nice (recent) HDMI switching amp for nearly nothing. That's all it took to get me started. I Had been wanting to upgrade. But... honestly I was seriously considering a 75" led Smart TV. But the wife likes the screen.... and my feeling were mixed. So accepting that this would NOT be my last Home Theater setup... I proceeded.

My speakers were fine with the new amp... so I moved onward.

After much research locally and on-line.... I ordered a new optimia projector. It has a better throw and can do a larger screen (than my OLD infocus) and 3200 ANSI Lumens (instead of the old 2000). The extra brightness is very noticeable. I did the math and was sure of what I could do. But I ordered the projector and waited for it's arriveal and testing before I proceeded.

After a little testing I ordered a $15 genaric mount for the projector and a 110 inch fixed screen. (I'd constructed a theater for someone else with a fixed screen... and knew I liked them). I bought a delux screen but I am sure showtime would be just as nice.

Total install time was just a few hours... less than a full day.

I have a 1080p setup. I know there are some 4K stuff available. But in my case I think another upgrade in a couple more years will be more to my liking than trying to buy tomorrows tech today.... I could be wrong.

I can (and do) play Blue Ray media but mostly now I am streaming movies using the streaming abilities of the BR player. To prevent any buffering.... I ran CAT6 to the player/streaming device. I also have a 2nd streaming device (a WiFi only Roku) that streams cable TV content from my cable provider (the Roku is actually shared with my man-cave TV). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version