🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

Home Theater Upgrade

<< < (2/11) > >>

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: dhouston on January 17, 2015, 10:14:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 17, 2015, 09:17:31 AM ---I've streamed movies a few times and not always with a friendly experience.

--- End quote ---
Then you ain't doing it right.  B:(

--- End quote ---

The issue 95% of the time the device streaming wasn't the issue.
It was my ISP.
Even in the city my service goes down periodically, usually right when the good part starts B:(
Even though I have a cable connection in the city my DSL connection at the cottage is far more reliable.
I still stream but prefer the hard copies like Jeff.

dhouston:

--- Quote from: dave w on January 17, 2015, 10:21:39 AM ---Did the new Lenovo come with a program called "Voxox" installed on drive?

--- End quote ---
Dunno - haven't powered it up yet. But, from what I see on the web, their deal only covers laptops.

I have encountered one complication. The Lenova docs (rather sparse) say to reset the TV refresh rate to 60Hz to avoid damaging the TV. While I suspect they are being overly cautious, there is no apparent way to adjust my TV's 120Hz refresh rate. I think I'll test things using a flatscreen monitor until I check with Vizio.  :-\

HA Dave:
Although we have more than a thousand DVD's... I think they're pretty much obsolete. I know they still sell (and rent) them but those days are slipping by fast. I really like and have enjoyed the "Disc" DVD/BR (now) format... and I will miss it a lot more than I ever missed the audio cassette.

I've done some streaming. That is one of the reasons it was imperative for me to use HDMI. I was glad I was able to keep using my old projector and save a few hundred bucks... being on a fixed income and all. But sooner or later everything fails.

For me... it just feels really good to be doing SOMTHING with my HA setup!

Now.... home theater remotes. I've been using a Logitech remote for nearly a decade and it works great. But for the upstairs TV I have a device and an app on my iPhone. I am thinking tablet control of the theater. I did that on a theater I built for a friend. It is nice to have a HA project again!

dave w:

--- Quote from: dhouston on January 17, 2015, 11:25:43 AM ---Dunno - haven't powered it up yet. But, from what I see on the web, their deal only covers laptops.
there is no apparent way to adjust my TV's 120Hz refresh rate. I think I'll test things using a flatscreen monitor until I check with Vizio.  :-\

--- End quote ---
Would that be automatic? I think they are being overly cautious also. What if you connected a VCR to the composit inputs of the TV, wouldn't that analog signal always be 60Hz? (actually 59 point something) ? Or is the preceived problem if you squirt NTSC into the HDMI?  

dhouston:

--- Quote from: dave w on January 17, 2015, 06:22:12 PM ---Would that be automatic? I think they are being overly cautious also. What if you connected a VCR to the composit inputs of the TV, wouldn't that analog signal always be 60Hz? (actually 59 point something) ? Or is the preceived problem if you squirt NTSC into the HDMI?  

--- End quote ---
My Lenovo Q190 PC, in addition to USB mouse & KB plus "vivid Full HD graphics", has...

* S/P DIF
* Mic
* Headphones
* 4 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0
* HDMI
* VGA
* 6-in-1 Memory Card Slot
* Ethernet
* WiFi
* 500GB HDD
* Option to add DVD R/W or Blu-Ray playerand I think the docs are implying that it's safe to use VGA but iffy for HDMI. However, it's unlikely they'll have much of a market w/o HDMI support. I also suspect the refresh rate is automatic but will email Vizio Support and ask for their input.
EDIT: I have submitted the question to Vizio Support and am awaiting their response.

The User Guide says...

--- Quote ---Set the refresh rate of your TV or monitor to less than 60Hz to avoid damage to your TV or monitor.
Lenovo recommends connecting the computer to a monitor using the VGA or HDMI video connector.

It is possible to connect the computer to a TV using the VGA or HDMI video connector, but Lenovo is unable to guarantee that this will work effectively.
--- End quote ---

Some models have Blu-Ray but I'm not sure all those, like mine, with the add-on optical drive can support a Blu-Ray drive. Upon further review it appears that there are optional add-on optical drives as well as add-on Blu-Ray players.

Here's a link to the original specs...
http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/WW/wci/products/us/desktop/ideacentre/q-series/q190/q190-datasheet.pdf

There is a "Compact wireless multimedia remote with a built-in mini-keyboard and mouse" but I plan to use a wireless KB with touchpad - Logitech K400 ($20).

And, I did not intend to hijack HA Dave's thread - mayhaps one of the gatekeepers can move the Lenovo related posts to a new thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version