🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

Who is streaming what... and how.

(1/5) > >>

HA Dave:
I am an old geezer. But I am not too awfully backwards or behind the times. I have been using Pandora for some time... streamed for the iPhone (or ipad) to a Bluetooth speaker. I have a somewhat recent "N" series Linksys router that seems plenty fast/robust enough for my wife and I.

I just recently acquired a Roku device which I connected to the upstairs TV and purchased a new Sony [brand] Blue Ray player for the Home Theater. The steaming options with the BR player... are extensive. So far.... I played around and watched some streaming movies on "Crackle" and all seems OK. I've been reading about and researching the different "content providers" and the different pricing options.

I am considering Hulu as a content provider. I like that they seem to have all the old Star Trek TV series available. I am not sure what movies they have to watch for free (with the $7.99 a month subscription).

Is any/every one else streaming content? who/what content providers seem best? Has anyone abandoned "classic" cable TV as a result? Is there a way to shave a few pennies off the user fee (like a senior discount)? Any input/info would be appreciated. 

beelocks:
Who - me
What - Hulu, Crackle, Netfix, Amazon, YouTube
How - Roku (first HD one out from a couple of years ago), Panasonic Internet connected DVD player (also a couple of years old), PC, Tablet (PC and tablet stream through a Google Chromecast to the big TV).

The Roku and the DVD player don't see much action since the Chromecast arrived.

The Chromecast plugs into an HDMI input on the TV (and is USB powered) and can be use your PC, tablet, android phone or iPhone as a controller. I think it's possibly even better than sliced bread. I think Apple, Amazon and Walmart have similar offerings.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: beelocks on January 26, 2015, 07:48:55 PM ---Who - me
What - Hulu, Crackle, Netfix, Amazon, YouTube
How - Roku ..., Panasonic Internet connected DVD player..., PC, Tablet (PC and tablet stream through a Google Chromecast to the big TV).
The Roku and the DVD player don't see much action since the Chromecast arrived.

--- End quote ---

I think I am progressing along at about normal speed then........

I watch 99.5% of my TV on the upstairs 46" TV. Which is cable box connected and has an early BlueRay player a wii console and now the Roku device.
I've found that I kinda like Crackle. I always seem to be able to find a free movie that I wouldn't mind seeing (and haven't seen before). The price (FREE) is right and I can stop and or pause it like a DVD.

I had considered (and still am) a Hulu subscription so I could watch old Star Trek shows. But this afternoon I realized I can access Youtube and watch all the Star Trek series shows on YouTube... totally free of charge.

I could just buy/rent movies through Amazon (no subscription required).... or buy a amazon "prime" membership ($70-80 a year) and receive some content freebies, reduced pricing and shipping discounts for regular Amazon purchases.

Now I am considering a Netflix account. More a movie based provider (as I understand it) and I could even run it on my phone or a tablet if away from home. I had heard at one time an annual subscription could be purchased at a discount. I might get a month (free) trial and check that it out.... while it's still cold outside.

My iPhone AND even my old D-pad tablet both run the free remote control app for the Roku device. Besides a handy remote.... I can now wirelessly display my iPhone pictures and movies on the TV (pretty cool). Or... I could even place pics/videos on the tablets memory card for display too. I think I should be able to use the app to also access my cloud storage and see any picture(s) I have.

The Roku device also has options for both HDMI and composite video connections to a TV. Old-tech video can be great for older, TV's!

Most of what I've learned with the upstairs TV and the Roku device should transfer well to the theater and it's WiFi connected Sony Blue Ray player. However... The Sony App (remote control and mirroring app) didn't seem to work as well on my IPhone and I could not find a DL for the old tablet.

dhouston:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 27, 2015, 01:31:28 AM ---I could just buy/rent movies through Amazon (no subscription required).... or buy a amazon "prime" membership ($70-80 a year) and receive some content freebies, reduced pricing and shipping discounts for regular Amazon purchases.

--- End quote ---
Amazon Prime is $99/yr and there's no refund if you want to cancel. You get free two-day shipping (including Sunday deliveries) on items sold by or shipped by Amazon. For someone like me who is disabled, unable to shop in person and with a lot of time to kill, it's convenient and I make fairly heavy use of the included streaming of movies and TV series (usually with a season's delay). Prices are not always the lowest available and their customer service approach is one size fits all. They allow returns with no questions asked and will replace any defective items so all-in-all it's a good choice for shopping/shipping/streaming. Prime also includes free music streaming, cloud photo storage, Kindle library and more. I haven't tried the music - I've listened to WNKU for ~25 years (http://wnku.org/).

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 27, 2015, 01:31:28 AM ---Now I am considering a Netflix account. More a movie based provider (as I understand it) and I could even run it on my phone or a tablet if away from home.

--- End quote ---
I'm unaware of any annual discount. Currently, it costs $9 month but you can cancel at any time. It also has movies and TV series. If you try the free month, you'll probably stick around.

Both Amazon and Netflix are also producing their own content.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on January 27, 2015, 07:32:36 AM ---Amazon Prime is $99/yr and there's no refund if you want to cancel. You get free two-day shipping (including Sunday deliveries) on items sold by or shipped by Amazon.......... Prime also includes free music streaming, cloud photo storage, Kindle library and more. ......

....Both Amazon and Netflix are also producing their own content.
--- End quote ---

I am also a big Amazon fanboy. However I generally am able to "save-up" my hobby items for purchase if individually they are under the $35 free shipping restriction. I've considered a prime membership before now as well.

I've seen where content providers are now become content producers as well. Interesting... and expected I'd guess... as even Yahoo produces on-line video content too. The ABC, NBC, CBS big 3 national broadcasters pyridine is only a childhood memory. Which makes me wonder.... I could hang an amplified antenna (I do live in a city) and get lots of free HD content.

Maybe... with free antenna content and free on-line content (using the same old ad based revenue generation). And maybe an Amazon Prime membership (the cost I might recoup in shipping saving?) and some other content membership or "as used fee's".... there still might be a buck to be saved. After all cable TV ain't cheap now-of-days.

Ether way... whatever direction I take... the volume of content available is staggering! It really makes that old Quest commercial relevant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version