🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

Who is streaming what... and how.

<< < (3/5) > >>

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on February 12, 2015, 08:05:38 AM ---The technology correspondent for the Washington Post must have been eavesdropping...

--- End quote ---

Actually I think the NSA monitors our posts and leaked the information to the post......  rofl

I called and got alternate broadband costs then called the cable company... with every intention to reduce service to broadband service. But they made a counter offer of a greatly reduced price. So... next year I will decide if "cutting the cable" is for me. Meanwhile... I am saving a few hundred dollars checking out some new nice services.

Believe it or not... the "service(?)" I enjoy most is watching the StarTrek series shows on YouTube... on the TV. It's silly I know But I like watching an old StarTrek when I have a few minutes to kill.

dhouston:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on February 13, 2015, 12:49:15 AM ---I called and got alternate broadband costs then called the cable company... with every intention to reduce service to broadband service. But they made a counter offer of a greatly reduced price.

--- End quote ---

I've seen where others have had the same greatly reduced price experience. It seems the cable companies are feeling the competition. When I dropped cable a few years ago, they asked why but made no counter offer.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on February 13, 2015, 06:43:06 AM ---....  It seems the cable companies are feeling the competition. ....
--- End quote ---

Yep... my brother has been with the local phone company most of his career. He has seen many changes with home owners installing two or more lines for a primary phone.... and phones for the kids. Then yet an additional line for Internet dial-up And sometimes for a fax machine.

Now people [don't care for the phone company's in-state long distance billing.... so they] opt for mobile phone service only. But everyone wants a cable or DSL broadband Internet service. The only constant has always been change.

After more than half a century of thinking of TV as being "programing" (programs aired or available for viewing at specific times) it is a change to think of entertainment as "content" (entertainment media selected for use as desired). But.... I like the new content model. Instead of just letting the programing run on I am finding times when I think... "what entertainment would I most enjoy most now". Interestingly.... often times my answer to myself is: "It might be more enjoyable to turn the damn TV off and do some task I've been wanting to get done". So far... this has worked well for me.

I will continue to prepare to totally cut the cable next year. This summer I plan to install a nice antenna so I can receive local broadcasts. I want to try an attic mount first. But I may need to erect a mast outside to get the reception I desire at my location. And I am considering when I update my/our phones to have my long-time home phone number moved to mobile phone.

Tuicemen:
I don't stream any thing other then video feeds from my off grid place to my city residents Cable charges are nuts here for unlimited.
I did hook up my Android mini PC and test streaming with it but wasn't impressed I then tested My HP thin client which was impressive.
Since my plan was to move this to my off grid place for HA I was interested to see if it would handle streaming as well.

I now have the Thin Client up and running off grid and it streams very well using a DSL connection.( actually better then my cable connection in the city).
Since I have a limited free satellite connection (good for 5 channels) streaming won't be used much here for getting news though there is that option now as several TV stations now offer this.
There is the occasion when the satellite just won't bring in any thing so I now have a back up.
I've only tested with Crackle but may give Netflix a test run at some point.
I have streamed TV content to my lap top but viewing on it was less then perfect even hooking it to the TV which was a pain.
 >!

dhouston:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 27, 2015, 11:30:51 AM ---I now have the Thin Client up and running off grid and it streams very well using a DSL connection.( actually better then my cable connection in the city).

--- End quote ---
My streaming via DSL, WiFi & the Lenovo Q190 to my Vizio Smart TV is nearly perfect with Netflix & Amazon Prime. My download speed is usually between 8 & 9 Mbps per http://testinternetspeed.org/.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version