🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

Who is streaming what... and how.

<< < (5/5)

HA Dave:
I just finished a setup... transforming my home office into more of a man cave.

I found a 42" TV with a VGA input. With a "bar height" table and stool and wireless keyboard and mouse I can use the TV for a PC monitor. Now I have some "ether/or" capabilities.

I can watch YouTube videos ether through the Roku or the PC. I can view and share phone images on the TV ether via pairing with the phone, or from the PC hard drive or external back-up drive. Or from ether device through cloud or on-line data storage.

I feel good about removing the desk... I feel that might be a step forward. But.... I also removed the easy chair... which may be a step too far. The idea is to watch whatever programing or content I watch from the glider (no impact walker) or from the bicycle (mounted on a trainer). Of course the table and chairs leave the option of just sitting available as well.

HA Dave:
Here is an example of Yahoo on-line programming... an on-line "series" called: Other Space. I was hoping to binge on the Yahoo's screen content today... but things didn't work that way. However I did get to enjoy some "Other Space".

Streamed through my PC and connected to the TV via a VGA connector.

dhouston:
Another advantage of streaming is that all of the major networks and some of the cable networks allow streaming of current season shows. This comes in handy when there are two shows I like to watch that are on at the same time and for ones that are scheduled past my bedtime.

I lucked into a one day only $200 price for my Lenovo Q190 (usually ~$400) but aN HTPC or thin client will outperform most, if not all, of the less costly dongles. I tried a few dongles, finding them OK for web browsing but too limiting for streaming HDTV. And, while my SmartTV has built-in interfaces for Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and others, I find their web interfaces much easier to navigate.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on October 30, 2015, 09:26:54 AM ---Another advantage of streaming is that all of the major networks and some of the cable networks allow streaming of current season shows. This comes in handy when there are two shows I like to watch that are on at the same time and for ones that are scheduled past my bedtime.
--- End quote ---

My cable also has "On Demand" of all the regular broadcasts. As well as the (same) on-line selection.

The 24 hour news stations and on-line local news means the news is always ready and waiting for me to find time to watch. And again missed news events are available on-line to be watched later.

With free and subscription movies through both cable and streaming (I am using Roku).... as well as old TV programing.... the selections are endless.

Now we even have the "new media" of on-line streaming ONLY content like Yahoo Screen it is almost over-whelming. This is a true 1st world problem! It's like complaining about eating too much. We now have way more programing than we'll ever have time to watch. BTW... I watched the entire 1st season (all) of "Other Space".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version