Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Who is streaming what... and how.  (Read 30432 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Who is streaming what... and how.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:52 PM »

Now people [don't care for the phone company's in-state long distance billing.... so they] opt for mobile phone service only. But everyone wants a cable or DSL broadband Internet service. The only constant has always been change.
I've been using majicJack for a few years for a home phone along with a T-Mobile prepaid cell (a Samsung flip-phone) for emergency use and/or on the rare occasions that I'm out and about. While investigating cells/tablets to find inexpensive options for testing with my Ultimate X10 Controller, I learned that majicJack has a magicApp for Android & iOS that can use my home phone number on a cell and make free calls. Consequently, I have a $30 LG Optimus Fuel arriving shortly. It will give me an Android platform for testing WiFi & Bluetooth links as I develop the controller as well as cut one more cord since I can use it instead of the T-Mobile cell while I'm out. (I'll likely keep the T-Mobile for emergency use in case my ADSL or router goes down. It only costs ~$3/mo and, with roll-overs, has been free for the past several months.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:51:30 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »

Using the same test my download speed is only2.12mbpswith my DSL (I'm a good distance from the phone center)
Still like I said streaming  is better here then then in the city.   :' ::)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »

I Updated the OS on my thin client to Windows 10 some time ago (when the pre-release was offered).
I just did a comparison between my wife's laptop running windows 7 and it viewing on the big screen.
We had always used it for streaming as it was a faster machine.
I tried to view the last ball game tying into our cable anywhere option from the off grid place.
The laptop would not view it at all it was like it was scrambled though we could hear the announcer fine.
Switching to the Thin Client it came in perfect.
I then checked some streaming services which were borderline prior on the Thin Client they now are excellent.
The new web browser added to Windows 10 has vastly improved my streaming experience.   ;)

I don't have any one streaming service I prefer though my daughter did setup Videocluster so we can use it, which has a very large selection of newer content.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »

I occasionally stream movies. I like crackle. I've yet to subscribe to any streaming content providers. But some of the Yahoo streaming shows have caught my attention. Now that cycling season is ending I may do a little binge watching/streaming this winter. 

I mostly use the Roku steaming device. The other day I watched a YouTube video (bicycle training) via the Roku streaming device. But I've also noticed that it looks like I can use the pairing function (normally used with phones) with my PC. The Bluetooth dongles appear to allow/enable the PC/Roku/TV pairing.

I began reconfiguring my "Home Office" recently.... converting it into a "Man Cave" of sorts. I've removed the desk entirely and just found a new big screen TV that will be the PC monitor, as well as the TV, and streaming player. I could also use it to display the security cameras.... as well as pair to my phone (or even a tablet). This might be nice for FaceTime use! I am hoping this will be a nice test platform for me to experiment with a bit.

So... I am still trying and learning.... besides my Halloween setup.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »

Bluetooth speed (~8 Mbps) appears adequate for streaming high definition video although it may deteriorate if there are other devices using Bluetooth.
http://www.ehow.com/about_6436526_bluetooth-vs_-wi_fi-speed.html

As I mentioned earlier, I get 8 & 9 Mbps via DSL. I have the newer dual-speedfrequency WiFi with my router and my Lenovo Q190 (now running Windows 10) also has the newer dual-speedfrequency WiFi. On the Q190, I use Firefox for streaming. The Q190 connects to my 52" TV via HTML. The whole thing is glitch free and very, very smooth.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:57:25 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »

I just finished a setup... transforming my home office into more of a man cave.

I found a 42" TV with a VGA input. With a "bar height" table and stool and wireless keyboard and mouse I can use the TV for a PC monitor. Now I have some "ether/or" capabilities.

I can watch YouTube videos ether through the Roku or the PC. I can view and share phone images on the TV ether via pairing with the phone, or from the PC hard drive or external back-up drive. Or from ether device through cloud or on-line data storage.

I feel good about removing the desk... I feel that might be a step forward. But.... I also removed the easy chair... which may be a step too far. The idea is to watch whatever programing or content I watch from the glider (no impact walker) or from the bicycle (mounted on a trainer). Of course the table and chairs leave the option of just sitting available as well.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »

Here is an example of Yahoo on-line programming... an on-line "series" called: Other Space. I was hoping to binge on the Yahoo's screen content today... but things didn't work that way. However I did get to enjoy some "Other Space".

Streamed through my PC and connected to the TV via a VGA connector.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »

Another advantage of streaming is that all of the major networks and some of the cable networks allow streaming of current season shows. This comes in handy when there are two shows I like to watch that are on at the same time and for ones that are scheduled past my bedtime.

I lucked into a one day only $200 price for my Lenovo Q190 (usually ~$400) but aN HTPC or thin client will outperform most, if not all, of the less costly dongles. I tried a few dongles, finding them OK for web browsing but too limiting for streaming HDTV. And, while my SmartTV has built-in interfaces for Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and others, I find their web interfaces much easier to navigate.

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »

Another advantage of streaming is that all of the major networks and some of the cable networks allow streaming of current season shows. This comes in handy when there are two shows I like to watch that are on at the same time and for ones that are scheduled past my bedtime.

My cable also has "On Demand" of all the regular broadcasts. As well as the (same) on-line selection.

The 24 hour news stations and on-line local news means the news is always ready and waiting for me to find time to watch. And again missed news events are available on-line to be watched later.

With free and subscription movies through both cable and streaming (I am using Roku).... as well as old TV programing.... the selections are endless.

Now we even have the "new media" of on-line streaming ONLY content like Yahoo Screen it is almost over-whelming. This is a true 1st world problem! It's like complaining about eating too much. We now have way more programing than we'll ever have time to watch. BTW... I watched the entire 1st season (all) of "Other Space".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:30:13 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.