Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make sense that a XPCP would stop working?  (Read 5132 times)

dlongnecker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Make sense that a XPCP would stop working?
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:33 PM »

I used to be able to control all my lights from my pc.   Now only about half of them.  Does it make sense that my XPCP could stop working and I just need a new one?  My dryer is gas, so I can't turn it on and see if the switches work, but I strongly suspect that is the problem.

Before I ordered a new one, just wanted to collect some thoughts

Thanks, dennis

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Make sense that a XPCP would stop working?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:43:56 AM »

If you have another high power electrical device like a electric stove. Turn it On High.

You may want to do some X10 signal troubleshooting.
Like anything new or moved electronic devices?
Power company just installed a Smart meter.
TED power monitor in the home?

You may also want to look at Jeff's Troubleshooting Tutorials.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

XPCP is a passive coupler and there is not much that can fail in one. Though it maybe possible.
Check the connections on it and if it has its own set of breakers. Make sure one is not tripped.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

Besides Brians troubleshooting, if all your non working devices are on the same phase and you are sure you have no new noisemakers, then yes, it COULD be a bad coupler, but liike brian said, there ain't much to go wrong in them. If you are on your way to get a new XPCP, then consider getting the amplified version XPCR
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dlongnecker

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »

Thanks folks.   Looking at the wiring diagram for the xpcp, I think I might have wired it wrong.   It worked for many years that way though.  Everything on one phase is working fine.  The other phase, not so.   I'll break open the panel and verify my wiring.  If that goes, I'll order an xpcr.
Dennis

dlongnecker

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »

Some new information.   After the kids went to bed last night I decided to do more testing.   I turned off all the lights in my house.   I picked up my X10 remote and pushed the 4 On button, and the lights in question came on.  Pushed the 4 off button, and the lights turned off.

I then went around and turned on other lights in the house.   When I turned on my family room lights - not connected to X10 in anyway - The 4 on button on the remote stopped working.   So, it is something with the lights in that circuit.  It is a three way switch (I did try various on-off settings on it and it didn't make a difference).  That switch has 4 can lights in it.  Two are The old style Incandescent Reflector bulbs.  One is a CFL Style.  And I believe the fourth is a newer Costco LED style.   I am going to spend tonight on a ladder to see which bulb is the culprit.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »

.....  When I turned on my family room lights - not connected to X10 in anyway - The 4 on button on the remote stopped working.   

..... One is a CFL Style.  And I believe the fourth is a newer Costco LED style.   I am going to spend tonight on a ladder to see which bulb is the culprit.

Looks like you figured it out!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 06:02:02 PM »

Sounds like you are getting closer to the solution.
CFL and LED Bulbs have been known to be noise makers or signal suckers.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.