Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which items would interst you if Authinx brought them back?

Robo Dog
- 1 (6.3%)
PR511
- 5 (31.3%)
Sensor for the PR511
- 8 (50%)
PSC05
- 1 (6.3%)
other
- 1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Is the demand there?  (Read 8650 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Is the demand there?
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »

Authinx has been looking at reintroducing some old products.
Some like the Robo Dog which many would like to see simply would need a total rebuild as a different manufactured made them and would be a costly endeavor especially if demand was low.
The PR511 requires out sourcing the light part (the sensor they can do).
The PSC05 requires a commitment of 3000 orders. Authinx doesn't see the demand for a commitment of that size.

I suggested looking for end user input as to what you'd like to see.
I've made it possible to change your votes so if someone would like to see something else or a variation of a old product I can add it to the list and users can change their votes to express interest.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Is the demand there?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »

The floodlight would be nice, even if only the sensor. I think it needs a revamp. I was never too keen on the sequential unit code tripping. Either drop some options, or add more.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »

How long it takes to go into production would also make a huge difference.
If they're looking at a two-year plus timeline then I'd pass on all of them.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »

How long it takes to go into production would also make a huge difference.
If they're looking at a two-year plus timeline then I'd pass on all of them.
For things that they have the tooling for I believe production time would be very short unless they added stuff.
I have a list of all modules (x10 and Pro) they have tooling for (I as of Dec 2013) posted on my forum http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=688.msg3960#msg3960.
The list doesn't include things like the PR511 sensor.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »

I would really like to have a hardwired motion sensor.  I have created one with an off the shelf module and the GPIO on my RPi and it works ok.  However, it would be nice to have the motion sensor more integrated.  Now that it's set up, I don't know if I would change that installation.  However, I also have some outdoor lights elsewhere that are controlled by MS16A modules.  They always seem to fail or have the battery die or <insert stupid issue here>.  I would really like to install a set of hardwired sensors in their place.

If X10 made the PR511 sensors available on their own, I think I'm not the only one who would snap a set of them up (assuming the cost wasn't astronomical compared to other offerings).  I see that as one module X10 dropped the ball on big time!

And while I'm at it, if they were to make them so you could local control via a WS467 (or similar) AND control the light (like the PR511) that would be AWESOME!  If they could send the command to other lights, that would be even better.  That would make it possible to control multiple outdoor light circuits from a single motion sensor (or link motion events on different sensors).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:40:54 AM by bkenobi »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:05:52 PM »

I think the PR511 was one of the best X10 products.  I installed the Leviton version on our own home, and they can be controlled by 4-button keypads from multiple locations as well as my "all exterior lights on" macro.

The bunch we picked up when they first became hard to find sold out pretty fast.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Waynemor

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 07:12:33 PM »

Hi,
I would also be VERY interested in the PR 511 either as a whole unit or even just the sensor.
I have found that with the severe winters we can get here in Canada that was the only decently reliable unit that was ever able to handle the cold.
I still have one spare from the "old days" but I would definitely purchase at least one new one were they to become available.
Later,
Morry

Swingray

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 05:47:24 PM »

I would definitely get a few of the sensors. I have one that had rain water dripping on it for a good amount of time and it died. I have two others that work just fine. >! 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

If new X10 were to take any of these ideas to heart (hopefully the sensor!), what are the odds it will be completed and released?  I know they've been working on the new WiFi unit for over 2 years and it's still not close to release.  If they took on a product that needs no real improvements, would it take as long?  If the price were reasonable, I'd be all over these sensors!  Of course, if a redesign were needed, perhaps I'd request a slight shrinkage of the package.  Most motion sensors are a little smaller these days, so that might be worth considering.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »

I have several X10 PR511 and Leviton 6417 modules in my installation and still find them very useful.  I actually just bought another (used) PR511 on eBay a couple of weeks ago.  In my experience, they still work very well.  In the 7 years since I installed them, I had to replace only one Leviton 6417 that was constantly exposed to rain.

I can think of 2 improvements:
  • A "polite" transmitter that waits for the line to be clear before transmitting X10 commands (collision avoidance).
  • The ability to program settings and store them in flash memory rather than using discrete mechanical switches for every setting, which could no doubt make the case smaller also.

That being said, I would keep buying new ones regardless of whether they get a redesign.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 07:26:28 PM »

The wifi unit was announced in December of 2013. Make that 3 years.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »

The wifi unit was announced in December of 2013. Make that 3 years.

The weeks, months and years slip by. Mature set-ups like ours continue on... but also require maintenance and parts. I have enough to keep running maybe for what might seem like forever (because of my age). But I'd love to have new projects and ideas! I want MORE automation... not a sustained setup.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.