Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Download to CM19A, then power from electrical outlet?  (Read 3722 times)

frenzel

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Download to CM19A, then power from electrical outlet?
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:46:06 PM »

I recently purchased a CM19a, and after finally finding the smarthome software (at http://www.marmitek.com/ahp/index.php), I'm up and running.  No problem getting my X10 modules to respond to it.

The major reason for my purchase is that here in Florida our frequent, albeit short, power outages have a tendency to turn on lights in my house, and since I do take vacations, everyone knows it when my lights end up burning all day and all night.

So I set up a bunch of timers that will make sure my lights are turned off every day.  I'll be testing them over the next few days.

Looking ahead, I prefer not to leave my PC running throughout my vacation.  My understanding is that the timers and macros are downloaded to the CM19a.  But since it has no external power source, if it is plugged into my PC, it won't work unless the PC is turned on.  My solution is to plug it into a wall outlet with the appropriate transformer plug, stolen from one of my cell phones, after downloading the timers.  My questions: any danger to the CM19a?  Will it work?

If I don't hear from anyone, I'll give it a try and let you know.

Fran Menzel

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:52:16 PM by frenzel »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Download to CM19A, then power from electrical outlet?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »

I may be mistaken and will find out soon, but I do not think the CM19A has any memory for downloading any program (timers, macros, etc). It requires computer 24/7
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

frenzel

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »

Yes, you're right.  My bad.  This is not the interface I need.  Looks like it's a CM15A for me.  Hopefully I'll be able to avoid the issues that others have described.

Thank you for straightening me out.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »

Yes, you're right.  My bad.  This is not the interface I need.  Looks like it's a CM15A for me.  Hopefully I'll be able to avoid the issues that others have described.

Thank you for straightening me out.
Yes the CM15A under the old X10 company earned a lot of complaints. A good potion was it's poor RF sensitivity for picking up the RF commands from hand held remotes, motion detectors, key fob remotes, etc. Some of the causes appeared to be poor assembly of the internal antenna and a less than optimum RF receiver module. The new X10 (Authinx) appears to take quality seriously and are serious about improving the X10 products.

Would be interested in hearing your satisfaction when you get your CM15A.

Good luck

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:05:34 PM »

Some of the causes appeared to be poor assembly of the internal antenna and a less than optimum RF receiver module.

The RF receiver module was actually OK but it was a super-heterodyne model which has narrow bandwidth. It tended not to hear the poorly tuned X10 transmitters.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

frenzel

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »

OK,
Finally got what I need.  CM15a programmed from my PC, then moved to a wall outlet.  Life is good.  Thanks for all your help.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »

CM15a programmed from my PC, then moved to a wall outlet.  Life is good.  
Oh, gosh. You just invoked the X10 curse.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.