Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MyQ  (Read 8615 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
MyQ
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »

After about half a century of service.... my Liftmaster garage door failed. The motor was OK... it is all relays and position switches... I am not sure what failed. When it was installed there were no safety detection devices. I couldn't get it fixed and new ones are cheaper if installed as a DIY project than a repair anyway.

So I got a unit that allows me to monitor and control my garage door via my mobile phone... from anywhere. Pretty slick technology. I got a ChamberlainŽ brand. They call the technology MyQ.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: MyQ
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »

And when the Chamberlain cloud service is down?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »

And when the Chamberlain cloud service is down?

A big name mail server failed... for a few minutes... not 2-3 months ago. Those things will happen although I'd bet the greatest risk is with a power outage. However I do have the mounted keypad wireless entry remote that functions without a wifi connection.... and old fashioned keys too.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:51:01 PM »

I can see usefulness in a WiFi garage door opener. I just don't get the WiFi toaster and toilet.  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:47 PM »

I can see usefulness in a WiFi garage door opener.

I think the greatest benefit of the app is often times if I am hurrying or distracted I get a mile from home and can't remember if I closed the garage door or not. Now I can just check the app... as opposed to turning back to check.

I just don't get the WiFi toaster and toilet.  rofl

Yeah.... but now I am  stuck trying to think of how to intergrade more automation into the kitchen. My bathroom remains automation free. 

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:08:59 AM »

I can see usefulness in a WiFi garage door opener. I just don't get the WiFi toaster and toilet.  rofl
I had never thought of combining a toaster with a toilet. What a great idea. Just put that puppy in front of my fridge/TV/cell phone and I'm set.

Is it just a toaster on the toilet, or is it more like a toaster/oven?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 06:54:41 AM »

Is it just a toaster on the toilet, or is it more like a toaster/oven?

Since the toilet has a built-in water tank it shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate a coffee machine also.
I'd avoid bleach blocks where possible though.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »

Lotta great ideas getting formulated here. I'm thinkin we should go for a spot on Shark Tank or Kickstarter.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »

HA Dave
Back in late 80's or early 90's, before Windows had a speech engine, I used a MAC SE running "XTension" for verbal announcements triggered by X10 PLC commands. XTension was a product of SHED.com and Mike Furgeson and his brother were two NASA engineers who started SHED. Mike had hundreds of examples of using XTension for home automation on their web site.

One example I wanted to do, but never was good enough at Apple script to do, was the bar code inventory system. Mike was using the old Radio Shark, free bar code scanner called "CueCat" to read the bar code of every grocery, sundry, etc. consumable item they used on their Florida ranch. He scripted an identification,  min-max, database. so when coming back from store, the bar code is scanned for every item before it went into pantry, refridge, storage shed, barn, etc. Every item/package was also scanned before disposing of the empty container.  XTension then created a weekly shopping list and created valuable reports on consumption rates, etc.

I think the Furgesons are retired, but SHED.com is still on web. You might check it out for ideas.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »

I remember the "CueCat" and all the hacks to remove its built in serial number and need to go through the manufacturers database.
They had all kinds lawyers trying to stop the hack flow but in the end lost completely.  >*<
I still have a box of them somewhere.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »

.... I had never thought of combining a toaster with a toilet. What a great idea.

Hummmmm..... that doesn't sound as easy as automating a chair.

HA Dave
Back in late 80's or early 90's, before Windows had a speech engine, I used a MAC SE running "XTension" for verbal announcements triggered by X10 PLC commands. .......  One example ........ was the bar code inventory system. Mike was using the old Radio Shark, free bar code scanner called "CueCat" to read the bar code of every grocery, sundry, etc. consumable item they used on their Florida ranch.......

I remember you posted about using X10 to announce motion detection. You/it inspired me to use that function through my (Bill's) BVC setup. It still announces a warning to the outside (and inside) when a perimeter breach is detected. And... I get a voice warning when the garage door is left open.. and the talking clock.......

Now-a-days the barcode scanner is loaded on the phones when they come out of the box. I use an app called "Lose it!" that allows me to track/monitor/regulate my intake and exercise. Scans the foods barcode... and I select the serving size.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:59:24 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »

I read somewhere (I should remember where) that the home automation products (light switches and modules) used with the Chamberlain MyQ system is "Wink" products. Does anyone know anything about this?

Apparently... I can add some GE link lights pretty easily.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:57:58 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 07:03:52 AM »

I read somewhere (I should remember where) that the home automation products (light switches and modules) used with the Chamberlain MyQ system is "Wink" products. Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Does anyone know anything about Wink? or specifically MyQ + Wink?

Wink is primarily a hub that does Bluetooth, Z-WaveŽ, ZigBeeŽ, Wi-FiŽ and Lutron ClearConnect. Whether it communicates directly with devices or only through other hubs that, in turn, communicate with their specific devices is unclear. There is a long (and growing) list of HA related systems but I have no clue as to which, if any, integrate with MyQ or Wink.
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/home-automation-technology-choices

Most early reviews of MyQ from early 2014 were extremely negative saying it did not integrate with anything and that all communication had to pass through chamberlain.com.

Similarly, Amazon customers have been highly critical of Wink.
http://www.cepro.com/article/amid_poor_reviews_amazon_puts_wink_home_automation_under_review/

I have two major concerns with things like these. We've all seen the consequences of the X10 servers going bye-bye so should be leery of anything which ties us to particular servers. And, I worry about what is the purpose of such remote servers collecting data about the homeowners presence/absence, habits, etc.

YMMV
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:20:42 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

...... Wink is primarily a hub that does Bluetooth, Z-Wave®, ZigBee®, Wi-Fi® and Lutron ClearConnect. Whether it communicates directly with devices or only through other hubs that, in turn, communicate with their specific devices is unclear.

Most early reviews of MyQ from early 2014 were extremely negative saying it did not integrate with anything and that all communication had to pass through chamberlain.com.

Well.... I've learned this much. Some sort of hub/hubs must be used... and of course the particular app for the hub in use... through some sort of apple/android or computer device.

1.  By using an android tablet... it does look like I might be touchscreen controlled pretty easy (already am at a tiny level). And the phones works very well also.

2.  It looks like the garage door repair.... made my "what protocol should I look at" decision for me.   

Similarly, Amazon customers have been highly critical of Wink.
http://www.cepro.com/article/amid_poor_reviews_amazon_puts_wink_home_automation_under_review/

I have two major concerns with things like these. We've all seen the consequences of the X10 servers going bye-bye so should be leery of anything which ties us to particular servers. And, I worry about what is the purpose of such remote servers collecting data about the homeowners presence/absence, habits, etc.
YMMV

A Wink update... actually disabled many of the wink hubs out there to the point where they had to be shipped back to the factory for reconditioning. Not what anyone wants to happen to any control device (or anything else). It should be noted that the Wink hubs aren't very expensive.

Yes. They will all come... and go... or become obsolete in one matter or another. Servers will go up... and they will also without a doubt go down. Even the old reliable, original, X10... has had it's problems and failures. Every product we buy has a lifespan (as do we). The exact lifespan and functional usefulness of any of these products is a gamble. I think the worry-free solution is the monthly service fee option offered by the alarm service and cable providers. I prefer the user designed/service option... myself. Although that does mean I absorb my own risk costs.

But ether way. There is too much there, there..... to avoid the Internet/wifi connectivity. I think running X10 as the analog portion of my setup along with a broadband/Internet functional system... may provide the best of both worlds. I would guess... X10 will remain the overwhelmingly largest part of my setup.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:54:57 AM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »

There is too much there, there..... to avoid the Internet/wifi connectivity.

Being able to reach your home router/network from out there is one thing - having to do by way of server(s) controlled by others (and potentially a tempting hacker target) is another thing altogether.

Of course, routers are themselves vulnerable
http://www.csoonline.com/article/2919314/mobile-security/the-internet-of-things-to-take-a-beating-in-defcon-hacking-contest.html?google_editors_picks=true
but I think the safest method is to limit ingress/egress to as few channels as possible and then concentrate on securing those channels and, since a router is a necessity today, securing it and limiting the number of hubs/devices that can access servers in the clouds is key.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:20:29 PM by dhouston »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.