Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Activating DS12A when an outlet is switched on?  (Read 2261 times)

BlueScreenOfTOM

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Activating DS12A when an outlet is switched on?
« on: August 29, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »

Hey everyone,

Without going into a long story as to why, I'm looking for a way to activate a DS12A (i.e. make it show "closed") when I switch on an electrical outlet.  I think what I need is some kind of device that I can plug into the outlet that will complete a circuit when turned on, and I could then wire this to the DS12A's contact terminals.  Any chance you know of a device like this?

Thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Activating DS12A when an outlet is switched on?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »

Any relay with a 120V AC coil can do this.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/rly-453/120-vac-relay-dpdt-12-amps/1.html
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/lcac-445/6-white-power-cord-2-conductor/1.html
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/mb-163/abs-project-box-76-x-50-x-27mm/1.html

You need to solder a line cord on the relay coil, and then connect the terminals of the DS12A to the N.O. (normally open)  contacts of the relay. When the outlet is ON the relay will close the N.O. contacts.  You would need to mount the relay in a protective box since the coil contacts have 120V across them. I do not know of a pre-made, off the shelf device that you can buy to do this. If you can not do this, any TV shop (if there are any left) can do it.

I am not familiar with the DS!2. If is "shows closed" when the terminals are actually open, this won't work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:25:53 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »

The DS12A is a Security Door/Window Sensor. So it sends a X10 security type message and an I am alive message about every sixty minutes.  
It has TWO independent separate Zones.

One Zone is the built in magnetic reed switch.

The second Zone can be connected to the small terminal block near the bottom edge. Normally jumped by a small wire but you can wire a external magnetic switch or in your case a dry contact relay. After removing the jumper. You should be able to connect the relay dave w described or any other dry contact device to the external zone terminal block.
If you want a open command when the outlet is turned On. Use the NC set of contacts so it opens when the 120 volts is applied. If you want an open when the outlet is off. Use the NO contacts so they open up when the 120 volts is turned off.

Both Zones are independent of each other. In a security setup. One or both of the zones can be registered independently. In my house I used the external zones with my own large gap magnetic switches and ignored the internal magnetic ones by not registering them. I believe when the terminal block is closed. The sensor sends a closed command.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:39:54 PM by Brian H »

BlueScreenOfTOM

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:07:38 AM »

Thanks guys.  I knew you all would point me right at what I needed.  Much appreciated.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.