Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: need a product suggestion  (Read 4016 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
need a product suggestion
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »

OK Gang,
Here's the deal. I have two 1/3 HP pumps in my pond. I also have have a post light about 30 feet from the pond on a 4x4 wooden post. What I want to do is mount 3 switches in three outdoor boxes on the post. One to run the light (yeah, I already have that unit) and two to run the pumps. I need these to be weatherproof.
What product do I need and how do I mount it in a weathertight manner?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: need a product suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:18:13 AM »

Do you mean like with a weatherproof switch coverplate?

here
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:24:26 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 04:41:19 AM »

Yes, but those will not work with x10 switches.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »

Do you wish these X10 switches to be manually accessible?
If so perhaps something like this:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-20-Amp-Backyard-Outlet-with-Switch-and-GFI-Receptacle-U010S010GRP/100534107?MERCH=RV-_-rv_search_plp_rr-_-NA-_-100534107-_-N

I'm not sure if the case can be purchased without the GFI but they have a few different configurations.
this may be better as it is configurable:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hubbell-TayMac-1-Gang-Horizontal-or-Vertical-Weatherproof-Extra-Duty-While-in-Use-Cover-MM420G/100186012

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:25:26 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »

If you don't have to control the switches manually, I'd suggest some X10 inline modules mounted inside one of those gray weatherproof boxes available at places like Lowes and HomeDepot.  You can run the wires out of the box on the bottom through a weatherproof gasketed fitting.

I used an inline module for our landscape lights mounted inside the transformer enclosure, and it has worked flawlessly for almost a decade.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »

I would like to access the switches.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »

There is this.... a mod from Dave4720. It actually begins here. That would work in conjunction with the cover-plate I originally posted (and any wired-in X10 module).

OK... you may also need to wire in a TM751 in an extra deep box... since the setup is way down by the pond. But this would give you everything. I wonder.... if a KR19A could be hardwired with a tiny transformer? I know... on the verge of Rube Goldberg-ish.... that happens to me a lot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:44:46 PM by HA Dave »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »

I was going to mention the Insteon Micro Modules. They have a sense input that can be triggered by a local toggle switch. I have recommended in the past.

I just took a look at the sales pages and like many of the other Insteon modules. X10 support is no longer listed.  ???

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »

Doorbell buttons! They're more-or-less weatherproof and could be wired cheaply enough to transformer-powered relays located at the home. The relays could close/trigger any X10 remote.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 06:11:47 AM »

I found an outdoor box/cover that was designed so the door could be closed with a cord plugged in that fits a gfci outlet. This, I think, shall work with the x10 decora style switches. I have a couple of xps3 units (or whatever they are) that are simple relays which should run the pumps.  Thanks everyone. Will post pics in time.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »

I have used those plastic outdoor covers and find that they last around a year before the cover breaks off.  They last a while if you only operate them in warmer weather, but I've had 2-3 fail due to opening in winter.  I now use the metal variant and would highly recommend them over the plastic ones.  They are more expensive, but they are made much better and operate easier.  I don't see the one I have on the web site (could walk right up to it in the store though).  Mine has a lock and can hinge up slightly to allow for a cord.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Dot-1-Gang-Weatherproof-In-Use-Vertical-Box-Cover-Case-of-6-CKMUV-R/202199232?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|PLA|D27E|Electrical&gclid=CjwKEAjwp_uqBRClvrrXmsbPog4SJACK4gIPvORkmsHtRwlWFUJSV38_XbMv30vgjpN1sfaaLuo-QRoCEHnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 11:57:18 PM »

I would use regular weatherproof light switches in a weatherproof enclosure and wire one of these inside the enclosure:
http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=71
It is similar to the Insteon micro modules that Brian recommended but still has X10 support and operates 2 loads in one module. These are designed for use with 220V 50Hz, but I have been using several of them on 110V 60Hz for over a year with no modifications. The only issue I have noticed is that if the load was switched on before a power outage, I must send an OFF then ON command to turn the load back on after the power is back on. This supplier ships to the US. You must pay in a foreign currency but PayPal does the currency conversion for you.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »

Cool. Thanks King! I am thinking I have a couple of non dimming togglelincs with x10 somewhere. I just have to figure out where "somewhere" actually is.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.