Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: C++ developers (AHP rewrite)  (Read 31550 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
C++ developers (AHP rewrite)
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »

Authinx is looking for someone to rewrite AHP.
They wish the rewrite to be registration free.
I have seen much of the old code however since I'm not skilled at C++( not that I'm skill with any language) this is beyond my level of expertize.
I also don't expect this will pay well so don't expect to get rich from this.
The old code is written with Visual Studio 2003 C++ so if you have this it should be easy to get the old software to compile and go from there.
If there is anyone interested it taking on this challenge PM me and I'll submit your contact info to the person in charge of the software.

I'm sure the community will be as grateful as Authinx will be to see a new version of AHP created.
I'm told once a new unregistered version is created Authinx plans to make some major changes to the CM15A and make the protocol available to every one. :)%

>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

stevech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: C++ developers (AHP rewrite)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »

Did this work ever commence?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »

As far as I know NO! :(
They are still looking for someone as far as I know.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »

I doubt they will find anyone. IIRC, a developer's license for the Cypress CY7C63723 chip used was more than $1000 back when the CM15A was introduced. And, developing for a USB interface is an order of magnitude more difficult than for a serial interface. And, finally, they have their cart attached to the wrong end of the horse - they need to complete any hardware redesign before trying to write interfacing software.
 >*<
Were they to replace the Cypress CY7C63723 with an Atmel ATmega328 plus a CH340G USB-Serial chip (a combination widely used in Arduino clones), they could save a little money and make creating the software & firmware much easier. They could also improve the RF receiver (and also save a bit) using a Micrel MICRF008YM chip which is superheterodyne but with bandwidth comparable to superregenerative receivers (a big help with poorly tuned LC controlled X10 RF transmitters). They could increase the size of the EEPROM several fold for a few pennies more. Adding a WiFi interface would add less than $1 with the ESP8266 ESP-01 (with hardware RTC and WiFi range in hundreds of meters). Any of the millions of Arduino developers could create the needed software/firmware without needing to buy a developer's license - Arduino also officially supports the ESP8266 WiFi module. Were Authinx to provide a schematic and Gerber files for the 2013 design, I might even take a whack at it instead of whacking the horse they have before their cart.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:23:38 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:48:48 AM »

Authinx isn't looking at creating new software for the Cm15 as that would as you stated be a large undertaking.
They are only looking at getting the current software working for current and future users of this model.(I think)
They currently don't have plans to manufacture more CM15As with the same internals.
In fact I believe it is close to the bottom of the list for module rebuilds.

I'm not sure if they have much from the 2013 design as that info may have been lost on one of the servers they were unable to get working.
I'll put you in contact with the one person that might have access to what you 'd need.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »

I'm not sure if they have much from the 2013 design as that info may have been lost on one of the servers they were unable to get working.
I'll put you in contact with the one person that might have access to what you 'd need.

Please do.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »

From going over the code it looks like AHP will compile with Visual Studio 2005 as well as 2003.
There currently is one programmer with Visual Studio 2003 going over the code.
They have discovered that there are several other things required to build so things are progressing however slowly.
Other requirements to compile:
DirectX SDK
Windows SDK
Windows Media SDK
Windows Driver Kit
Windows Template Library
Platform SDK
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »

Its 2018.   Did this project ever get anywhere?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »

I've not heard anymore on this however Authinx has been focused more on the WIFI module.
The code I was able to get was all over the place and not updated to work with newer visual studio versions.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JohnIsett

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »

I've not heard anymore on this however Authinx has been focused more on the WIFI module.
The code I was able to get was all over the place and not updated to work with newer visual studio versions.

Hi, Tuicemen.  Like you I've been using X10 successfully for many years (35--an original Mac interface user).  Sorry this AHP rewrite has not gone well.  For first time in about a year I plugged in my CM15A and was told "Device Descriptor Request Failed"--I assume a USB driver problem. 

I am running AHP on Win 10 computer and it has worked well for years...until now.  I searched forum for drivers and nothing comes up.  Do you have any suggestions or are you done with X10? 

Regards,
John I.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »

I still use x10 successfully and it still is possible to get AHP installed on a new windows PC. However most of is have moved to using HomeGenie (HG)or other software for X10.
I use HG and although it will work on a PC I've moved it to a Raspberry Pi zero w which I mounted inside my CM15A.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »

I'll toss in another option that I've been running successfully for about 9 months now.  It's the Smartenit Harmony, available in three flavors; P2, G1 & G2.  The Home Genie option is more powerful but has more of a learning curve particularly if you're new to Linux.  The Smartenit Harmony products are plug 'n play letting the user set everything up through an app or web portal.  From opening the box to controlling lights takes less than 10 minutes.  Alexa support is included with an Alexa skill.  The units also support Insteon and ZigBee devices.  The P2 with a PLM is only $75. https://smartenit.com/product/harmony-p2/

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »

Please do.
Authinx may have snagged a big fish. Hopefully they will take advantage of this offer.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »

I think the whole point of X10 was lost on all the different options being offered for it to run on. Technically you do not actually need any knowledge of Linux to run X10 on them. As an example one of the old favourite controllers Vera just needs a plugin for X10 added to it and you’re up and running in X10 without ever needing to look at the OS yet alone use it.

Personally I wouldn’t particularly recommend one option over another but just to let X10 users know that since the now defunct AHP there are plenty of credible X10 controllers out there that are simple to use and well maintained. No one option is better than the other. It’s all down to personal choice and what you are most comfortable using.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 09:17:08 PM »

Please do.
Authinx may have snagged a big fish. Hopefully they will take advantage of this offer.
I got no response.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.