Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 security console shuts down bell land line?  (Read 10425 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
x10 security console shuts down bell land line?
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »

Can the x10 security console cause Bell telephone to shut down a land line automatically if it detects the auto-dialer?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: x10 security console shuts down bell land line?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »

Old fashioned POTS line or one of the VOIP lines?
If it is always grabbing the phone line, even when it should not be?

Standard phone wiring? Not one with a RJ31X for security consoles. To grab the out going phone line and disconnect the rest of the home so no one can pick up a phone and stop the console from dialing out. X10 security consoles don't do RJ31X connections.

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »

Old fashioned POTS line or one of the VOIP lines?
If it is always grabbing the phone line, even when it should not be?

Standard phone wiring? Not one with a RJ31X for security consoles. To grab the out going phone line and disconnect the rest of the home so no one can pick up a phone and stop the console from dialing out. X10 security consoles don't do RJ31X connections.

Old fashioned POTS line---NOT VOIP.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

Can the x10 security console cause Bell telephone to shut down a land line automatically if it detects the auto-dialer?
I've not ran into this using the older DS7000 and I have it in 2 different locations.

If you previously had no issue and now have a issue with the Auto dialer you may wish to look to see if your area is affected by a expanded Local calling Area (LCAs)
If so this may require you to remove the 1 at the beginning of the numbers you have programed to dial out.
Bell doesn't state that not doing this would cause a disconnection.
However if the numbers fall within the (LCAs) and the 1 is included you will see unexpected results.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »

I've not ran into this using the older DS7000 and I have it in 2 different locations.

If you previously had no issue and now have a issue with the Auto dialer you may wish to look to see if your area is affected by a expanded Local calling Area (LCAs)
If so this may require you to remove the 1 at the beginning of the numbers you have programed to dial out.
Bell doesn't state that not doing this would cause a disconnection.
However if the numbers fall within the (LCAs) and the 1 is included you will see unexpected results.
 >!

A bell service technician told me that bell shuts down your phone line if it detects an automatic dialer. I have the ds7000 and problems have only recently started with my land line going dead with no dial tone.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:11:14 PM »

I am not sure how they can determine it is an auto dialer.
It should look like a telephone to the phone network.
Has a ringer detection circuit like a phone. When it goes off hook and dials. It should look like a phone.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »

I agree with Brian: I don't think it's possible to detect an autodialer at the hardware level. I think detection would be more in the usage patterns. If someone is "wardialing" numbers continuously, it's probably an autodialer rather than a person sitting at the phone dialing numbers manually. But your security autodialer should make calls seldomly and shouldn't trigger such detection. Another method would be detecting the dial pattern. If there is always the same gap between going off-hook and dialing the first number and each remaining number is dialed with the same tone duration and interval, it would be an autodialer rather than a human, though this detection method could yield false positives when a human uses a phone with "speed dial" keys.

Though these methods could be feasible, I don't know if any phone companies are using either of them.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »

I also am not too sure if it dialing the numbers in the phone number list until one answers would trigger any type of auto dialer trigger but maybe.

My only other thought would be a console malfunction. Holding the line off hook for a long time. Like you bumped the phone handset and got the warble tones. Eventually they will drop the connection until the line is again on hook.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:03:33 AM by Brian H »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »

Bird: if I remember correctly, you are in Canada. Which Bell system are you dealing with?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

birdzeye

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »

Bird: if I remember correctly, you are in Canada. Which Bell system are you dealing with?

It's just a regular land line. The technician said that Bell shuts down the line if it detects an autodialer because of all the problems they've had in the past with the police being called (by the auto dialer). But I've never programmed mine to call the police, ever. It's happened now several times, and there's no dial tone at the junction box outside the house. When I call Bell and they run some tests, the dial tone comes back. I'm perplexed. I might add that when the line went dead with no dial tone, I turned on my wireless printer that's connected to my computer and then suddenly I got a dial tone back again on the phone. However, the line had an annoying clicking sound on it. As soon as I'd turn off the computer printer, the line would go dead again. Since the dial tone is dead outside the house at the junction box I'm pretty sure it's a Bell problem, not an inside wiring problem, although I'm sure Bell will try to turn it into an inside wiring problem.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:53:45 AM by birdzeye »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »

You say this has happened a couple of times.
Was the DS7000 dialing out or sitting idle?
I'm inclined to think it is a line issue not the DS7000.
Bell isn't responsible for false 911 or police calls it is the home owner

The only thing I've found on the bell site regarding auto dialers is the LCA issue.
http://support.bell.ca/home_phone/phone_line/how_are_local_calling_areas_lcas_expanded See Q14
This indicates Auto dialers are supported
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

You say this has happened a couple of times.
Was the DS7000 dialing out or sitting idle?
I'm inclined to think it is a line issue not the DS7000.
Bell isn't responsible for false 911 or police calls it is the home owner

The only thing I've found on the bell site regarding auto dialers is the LCA issue.
http://support.bell.ca/home_phone/phone_line/how_are_local_calling_areas_lcas_expanded See Q14
This indicates Auto dialers are supported
 >!

The DS700 was sitting idle when this happened. But for some reason the Bell technician seems to think it's due to the alarm system, and specifically because the police don't like auto-dialers in alarm systems. Thanks for the reference regarding the LCA issue---I have since called back to Bell and asked if alarm systems interfere with Bell land lines in any way, and the person I spoke with said NO. I don't know why the technician would come up with the auto-dialer reason unless it's something they haven't put in writing but are just doing anyway without letting anyone know, or the technician didn't know what he was doing.

Then again, maybe the police are tapping my phone?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:55:40 PM by birdzeye »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.