Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 and Wi-Fi  (Read 1182 times)

JimGregory

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 and Wi-Fi
« on: September 03, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »

For the last few weeks I have been testing Wi-Fi to X10 using the Insteon 2245-222 Hub, which was received as a gift.  This device implements both X10 and Insteon protocols and is programmed via a slick smart phone app that connects either through Wi-Fi or the Internet.  The app is very basic: it does not support macros and can schedule only a single event per day per code.  My 30 year old X10 system (about 25 receivers, plus a couple of XPCR Coupler/Repeater Amplifiers) uses several macros and complex schedules, and is programmed with ActiveHomePro on a PC and through a CM15A.  I expect to keep this his set-up for routine operation and to run the Insteon hub/Wi-Fi in ad hoc situations.  The X10 signal power from the hub is only about 60% as strong as that from the CM15A so a X10 signal amplifier might be needed. All suggestions, especially regarding which X10 amplifier to use, much appreciated.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 and Wi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »

Having used X10 since 1978 or 79 and had automated home since 1984 I would recommend a coupler repeater. The best one on the market is the XTBIIR form JV Digital Engineering.

http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm

I also used XPCRs but had problems with their output and their tendency to get into a Ping-Pong fire storm with an X10 two-way appliance module. I retired my XPCR after installing the flame thrower XTBIIR.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.